Idea For Pandora Add-on

Aries

Still Fresh
What about a laptop style lcd-bluetooth keyboard combo to use with the s-video tv-out. It could be powered by usb. A 10 inch display would be compact enough in a clamshell designed, could even add a usb hub on the back. We could use it while the pandora is close making it a full-size portable combo computer. I think such a add-on would sell pretty well, even for PC desktop use. I searched the web for a small lcd that could be powered by usb or battery with no succes. CraigX are you listening? ;) make it happen, i would pay easilly 150$ for device like that. Anyone like the idea?

Post on the docking station thread.
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=41686

Secondly you could build your own because there would need to be huge demand(all 3000 Pandora owners) for such an add-on to make sense even to manufacture. And finally $150 would not even come close to covering the cost for such an add-on, start thinking $250+ just so someone could turn a profit.

Last edited by a moderator:
GunPei2X said:
I don't get it. Why wouldn't you just use a small laptop instead?
What if you don't have a small laptop?

Kinda like the idea, might be a project for me on a Saturday afternoon.

PlopperZ said:
What if you don't have a small laptop?
For almost the same cost and size, you could get one (used at worst). I'm just not seeing how you save either space or money by doing this. Maybe I'm lacking vision.

I'm buying the Pandora for the portable gaming, but if it would be a bonus if I could slide it into a laptop casing I could also use it for work and internet browsing comfortably more. Considering the Pandora is about twice as powerful as my current laptop (yeah, it's old), it would be very useful for me.
It wouldn't be a commercial success but it would definatly be a good one-man project.

PlopperZ said:
It wouldn't be a commercial success but it would definatly be a good one-man project.
I agree that this idea has no future as a commercially viable product, but if you're looking to DIY, this might be a good place to start. No price announced yet, but if it's cheap then it would make an excellent external USB display. Here's hoping for Linux drivers.

I like this a lot. It sounds like a pretty difficult project, but probably could be done by taking an old laptop and removing a lot of the guts to make space for a closed Pandora.

Made me think of a laptop I saw once, circa 2000 where the keyboard lifted to reveal a cdrom drive - would seem ideal for canibalizing. Has anyone seen the same thing? I can't for the life of me remember what it was. Maybe a Vaio?

a

Ah, so this would be the equivalent of making a MAME-like gaming cabinet, but using a laptop casing? Could be fun then ;)

Well, I'm a bit late, but the original idea sounds a lot like the Palm Foleo... and that did _not_ do well at all iirc :-S

there's admitedly a tiny group of people who might find this useful, so I definitely agree there's no market for this.

I imagine the potential usage to be for someone who would carry the Pandora all the time in a pocket and occasionally would take this along in a bag. It's better than taking a small laptop AND a Pandora because it would be lighter and there are no issues with trying to keep your data synced up between 2 devices. It's better than just a laptop (obviously) because you can just pop the Pandora out and play games on it.

Inside the laptop case you could maybe have space for extra cables, sd cards, valuables or whatnot, and you could maybe recharge the Pandora from the Laptop battery.

On the other hand, this would all be VERY difficult to do. Getting a laptop LCD panel to display anything other than what was originally intended is a nightmare from what I've read. Might be more effort than it's worth.

a

Back