Ideas For The Second Edition?

NILL posted on Dec 25 2005 at 06:30 PM said:
2. Lithium ion rechargable batteries. I don't need to say why. Maybe have the same form factor as 2 AA batteries.

3. Power from USB. Is there enought mA? And have it rechargable from it.

EDIT:
4. A dimmer knob to help save battery. (Although this could be done as a mod)

I start being sick and tired to read this kind of comments: LI-ION, HDD.

I believe, beside the size, all your point of view for LI-ION is already achieved with AA.
And, sorry if you want smaller size LI-ION, it cannot out-performmed decent AAs. just 1200~1500mHA max, I believe. (and cost a lot with specialized design)

The AA is the best idea for handheld - especially for the small company like GPH.
Stop moaning for li-ion. go and get PSP or GBA, please and please.

And for the no.3, the USB host (and also HDD issues), do you really don't understand why it is dropped? Because of power-saving.

I really hope there is USB host and look forward for some hack or docking stations, but the 2nd release just for them? noway.

I believe the idea of GP2X from GPH is 'Compatibility and Portability'

Please, think about them first and if your suggestion is not based on them, you should try them by youyself, not bothering GPH nor community.

Last edited by a moderator:
mittens posted on Dec 26 2005 at 07:18 AM said:
NILL posted on Dec 25 2005 at 06:30 PM said:
2. Lithium ion rechargable batteries. I don't need to say why. Maybe have the same form factor as 2 AA batteries.

3. Power from USB. Is there enought mA? And have it rechargable from it.

EDIT:
4. A dimmer knob to help save battery. (Although this could be done as a mod)

I start being sick and tired to read this kind of comments: LI-ION, HDD.

I believe, beside the size, all your point of view for LI-ION is already achieved with AA.
And, sorry if you want smaller size LI-ION, it cannot out-performmed decent AAs. just 1200~1500mHA max, I believe. (and cost a lot with specialized design)

The AA is the best idea for handheld - especially for the small company like GPH.
Stop moaning for li-ion. go and get PSP or GBA, please and please.

And for the no.3, the USB host (and also HDD issues), do you really don't understand why it is dropped? Because of power-saving.

I really hope there is USB host and look forward for some hack or docking stations, but the 2nd release just for them? noway.

I believe the idea of GP2X from GPH is 'Compatibility and Portability'

Please, think about them first and if your suggestion is not based on them, you should try them by youyself, not bothering GPH nor community.

I havn't mention the HDD because I didn't think it would be a small change, but how is a Li-ion a big one. It would be more expensive to make, but I didn't say leave the price the same. If it cost a lot more to make then let if. I still think it would be cheaper to end user in the long run. And how does a smaller battery that makes the GP2X smaller not fit into 'Portability'.

I havn't even mention usb host in this forum. I only reason I brought it up in a another was because I emailed GPH and asked about using by iPod as on the go storage for the GP2X and they siad it could. I was saying it would be nice to be about to power the GP2X from the computer you have it hooked onto.

How about this, anthou it's far from a minor change and would more then likely be a GP3X suggestion.
Add FireWire function. FireWire doesn't have a Host/Client type set up. It works Peer to Peer. So you could have all the things that USB host would give you with out adding another chip to power. The only problem I see is people not having a FireWire port n their computer. Firewire isn't as command as usb.

You could easily fit a 2200mah li-ion battery in there and have the space for aa batteries and keep the unit at the same size.

As long as the battery is the same as one used in other popular devices like ipods spares will be cheaply available for a long time. You can pick up 1st gen ipod batteries on ebay for about $15.

i do think that some real rechargables would be easier to change than you guys think, it wouldn't need to be kept deep inside the machine and only replacable by GPH (remember that ipod video w/the guy talkin to tech support about the battery dieing), they are sold at radioshack. I think the reason most people hear hate built in batteries is because GPH didn't use them. Its the fanboy way, if they had no backlit screen you'd say how you prefer no bl screen for battery issues then rag on the psp battery life, if it used tiny cd-r's youd say how great it is that you dont need to deal with pesky sd cards and you get more storage for your dollar. whatever the great makers of the gp32 did with the new system is what you would defend.

dont flame me too badly

NILL posted on Dec 26 2005 at 02:27 PM said:
I havn't mention the HDD because I didn't think it would be a small change, but how is a Li-ion a big one. It would be more expensive to make, but I didn't say leave the price the same. If it cost a lot more to make then let if. I still think it would be cheaper to end user in the long run. And how does a smaller battery that makes the GP2X smaller not fit into 'Portability'.

I havn't even mention usb host in this forum. I only reason I brought it up in a another was because I emailed GPH and asked about using by iPod as on the go storage for the GP2X and they siad it could. I was saying it would be nice to be about to power the GP2X from the computer you have it hooked onto.

Sorry, I didn't know there are some useful USB CLIENTs with power :) I had believed only USB host need that kind of power. My ignorance.

And I just mentioned HDD as one of example people always asking like USB host.

But for the portability thing is, no, I don't think so.
I said it not for the SIZE, but for the easy of replacability and rechargability.

If you use LI-ION SMALLER SIZE then normal AA,
It cost a lot, need new design. You should buy THAT specific battery which probably you cannot find them everywhere.
And you need to bring your own recharger. No need to mention that different country has differnent disign of power socket.

I said that is not so portable than just using simple AAs. (and still, most of common LI-IONs have weaker mHA)

Back