If You Could Change The Pre-order Date, When Would It Be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Demon

Sandy Wich's Boy
Website
Visit site
After some comments in the '15th pre-order confirmed?' thread about the pre-order release date, I have decided to make this poll. Please note that this poll alone will not affect the release date - in the end it is Craigix's decision as to when the pre-order will go ahead.

With all the buzz about the Pandora, and moreso the concern over actually being able to actually get their pre-order in for the first 3000 batch, some have actually raised concern over the release date being on a weekday rather than weekend.

First of all, here is God Ginrai's and CronoTriggerfan's posts from the '15th pre-order confirmed?' thread about the 30th pre-order date.

God Ginrai:
I just hope that even if Craig doesn't give us an earlier pre-order, that he will at least tell us the ballpark of when he will start the pre-orders. Because, since this pre-order is starting on Tuesday instead of on the weekends, I have classes that I have to attend. As long as it is after 1 PM EST, I'll be fine, but if it's before that, I might need to consider skipping a class or two. However, I don't want to skip a class unless I know the pre-order will actually start during the period of time that that class takes up.

CronoTriggerfan:
I too think having preorders on a work/school day is a horrible idea. Not only is it not convenient to have a late night trying to snag one, but a purchase would be delayed into the evening for most people due to their busy schedules. After waiting this long to secure one, waiting 3 extra days until Saturday would be absolutely nothing. Or 2 days earlier on Sunday, depending on how it all works out. Either way, they should open the preorders up for folks on a weekend, as that's how this kinda thing is normally done, especially when it's a hyped product with limited numbers.

I also raised similar concern to God Ginrai's above in the previous thread as well.

These 2 posts really got me thinking that maybe the date SHOULD be changed to either the weekend before or the weekend after, the reason being that with the current release date being on a weekday, many people will have other commitments, school/work etc, and may not be able to get to a computer at the time the pre-order goes live, meaning that others who will have such access at the time get an advantage over those without access.

And then there is the worldwide aspect of this to think about, with people from all around the world wanting to place pre-orders, people who are really chomping at the bit to put their money down could be up at very strange times of night/day (for a weekday), anywhere from Monday night (West Coast USA/Canada) through to early hours of Wednesday morning (Australia/New Zealand), depending on when it goes live. Again, people who have to go to work through the week, depending on their country, could well be asleep when it goes up (I for one can not afford to stay up all night, for maybe up to 2 nights straight waiting for this to happen).

If the pre-order is placed on a weekend, this means that more people, worldwide, will be able to participate, as most people don't work on Saturday/Sunday and therefore can better afford to stay up all night and then will be able to go to bed, safe and content with the knowledge that they got their Pandora secured.

Sure, I realise that this may not suit everyone, as some people do work weekends/shift work and such, but no date/time is going to please everyone, and opening the pre-order on the weekend (either before or after the 30th, my vote goes to after) sounds like it could (should?) be a better option for many more people than it would inconvenience.

I would like to hear what others think about the pre-order date being on the 30th September, and whether they think it should be moved to the weekend before/after (or another date altogether) or not and why. Bear in mind though, as I said at the start of this post, Craigix has the final say on when the actual pre-order will take place. This is just to see what people think.

EDIT: dammit, where did my poll go?
Could the mods please add a poll to this thread?

Options:
1. Tuesday September 30 (do not move)
2. Saturday September 27
3. Saturday October 4
4. other (State when and why in your post)

People, please post what you think here. My poll has gone missing.

Perhaps fate intervened and made this poll disappear.

Personally I don't care when it is, as long as Pandora is ready. In some senses I'd prefer them to just open pre-orders now for, say £50/$100, then they would know how many people were serious.

I've seen that people are getting really ansy. They are even starting to withdraw their opinions of this as a community handheld. Each one of us has helped design it, it is and always will be a project from and for the rare community of homebrew. Just because the devs want to keep the final party a big surprise you shouldn't start questioning wether it is a community project or not. It comes out when it is ready, and i will be waiting until it does. PANDORA FOR LIFE!!

tomorrow, so that people would stop posting topics about it. seriously, theres like 4 on the main page

t22r91s said:
I've seen that people are getting really ansy. They are even starting to withdraw their opinions of this as a community handheld. Each one of us has helped design it, it is and always will be a project from and for the rare community of homebrew. Just because the devs want to keep the final party a big surprise you shouldn't start questioning wether it is a community project or not. It comes out when it is ready, and i will be waiting until it does. PANDORA FOR LIFE!!

Did you reply in the wrong thread maybe?

Each one of us has helped design it? Really? Which bit did you design? The problem with calling it a community handheld is people think they have some right to decide what shape it will take, what updates should be made, when it should be released and all sorts of other stuff.

Now, the topic is "If You Could Change The Pre-order Date, When Would It Be?", aka "The Poll-less Poll", so back to that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, thats the thing. this isn't a collaboration. it was designed around and obviously influenced by the members of this community- even more so being developed by some of the most sensible and prominent. that said, it doesn't mean that you actually have any part in the process. you dont need to know their revenue, redesign their logo, or tell them when and how to market and release it. thats not what was implied by the 'community handheld' (at least it seems), but thats what people seem to infer.

White Demon said:
EDIT: dammit, where did my poll go?
Could the mods please add a poll to this thread?
No.

I'm not sure why the forum seems to be eating every other poll, but in this instance it worked out for the best. There are enough meaningless polls already.

The Pandora is not going to sell out within hours, or probably even days of the pre-orders opening up. These aren't superbowl tickets. There seems to be an echo-chamber effect at work here that is clouding everybody's judgment. Just relax. There will be plenty to go around.

In fact, I'm going to put my money where my mouth is. Whenever pre-orders do open up, I'm going to wait 24 hours to place my order. If I'm wrong, then I don't get one from the first batch. I'm very confident that I'm not wrong.

Chip said:
In fact, I'm going to put my money where my mouth is. Whenever pre-orders do open up, I'm going to wait 24 hours to place my order. If I'm wrong, then I don't get one from the first batch. I'm very confident that I'm not wrong.
Thanks Chip, I'm sure your estimation are right.
So now I can wait more confortably : My last handheld give up about a month ago, and I wont wait for the second batch else I'll buy something else :( (but I don't know what because there is only the pandora that match my current needs in form-factor/usage)

November/December, gives the devs more time to work on apps and polish everything.

No I wouldn't change the pre-order date, as it would not make the slightest bit of difference to anything.

If the pre-order date was moved forward it wouldn't mean anyone would get anything any sooner, nor would it stop the threads (they'd just be replaced with 'when is it going to ship' threads).

What I would vote for is a date for which no more pre-order threads could be posted and that date would be last week. It's great that there's so much enthusiasm about the product, but the signal to noise ratio is getting silly in here.

hotblack said:
No I wouldn't change the pre-order date, as it would not make the slightest bit of difference to anything.

If the pre-order date was moved forward it wouldn't mean anyone would get anything any sooner, nor would it stop the threads (they'd just be replaced with 'when is it going to ship' threads).

What I would vote for is a date for which no more pre-order threads could be posted and that date would be last week. It's great that there's so much enthusiasm about the product, but the signal to noise ratio is getting silly in here.

Brilliant, hotblack! One of the best posts recently. :D

mazza558 said:
November/December, gives the devs more time to work on apps and polish everything.
I think, the Software-side is not the Problem, all Delays are mainly because of Hardware/production -things.
Imagine, the Pandora was released as planed, (June? July?) the Software also had to be done in this time - but of course we will never know.

However, Why everyone is so mad about preorder? Is there some panic that people don't get a Pandora? Funny because if the 3000 are sold, they will build more of course. I can wait for the 2. Batch. ^_^

A weekend would be nice. Chip may be confident that they will be abundant, and I really do hope he's right. But as a die-hard realist/borderline pessimist, I don't think the situation is so honky-dory.

Really, though, whatever preorder they do have should follow someone showing me a working Pandora. The thing looks so cool, but what's been shown now is really just proof of concept stuff. I wanna see the final case, GUI, and most importantly, someone actually playing games. Showing off a media player or web browser would be cool to see pre-release as well.

Kyosys said:
on the weekend. I want to put up a tent in front of my PC, to make it more authentic
Haha, it would be epic if Pandora were a widespread release. First time I ever console camped was for the Wii, and it was one of the most fun experiences I've had in my life up to this point. If it were on a weekend, I might be able to get close to the experience by having some buds over to play games, get jacked up on Monster, and hit refresh rapidly on my laptop between multiplayer games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back