If You Could Change The Pre-order Date, When Would It Be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If You Could Change The Pre-order Date, When Would It Be?

Tomorow would be great with me but seriously I'm sure it's not gonna make a bit of difference what day it is. I'm sure however you'll get people camping infront of there pc's clicking refresh on there inbox's waiting for the "If you can order quick enough you might get one of the first 3000" emails. I want a :pandora1: but I won't be missing work/school/doctor appointments/brain surgery etc etc just to get my name down on the list, lol. Besides I'm already on the list but it's hush hush, mentioning no names,lol That's got the obsessive ones wondering has he or hasn't he? If i get mine by christmas I'll be happy if not I'll get one for boxing day off ebay for £600 for sure, lol. Roll on christmas :p

If this thing sells out in less than a week, I'm sure the second batch will end up being manufactured simultaneously with the first, and will be considerably larger.

I say do a lottery to choose the start of the preorder period. Since people are concerned about a weekend date, start the lottery at 0 hours GMT on Saturday the 4th. Split it into 2 hour chunks from then until 0 hours GMT on Monday the 6th. Assign numbers in whichever way you wish to each block, as long as no number is used twice, and all numbers within a contiguous block are used. During a live webcast, rig up a fancy random number generator with flashy LEDs. Of course, the date for the drawing must be chosen in the same manner and the drawing for that must also be webcast. The preorder itself will not really be a first come-first serve situation. All preorders will come with one entry into the delivery order selection lottery. For those who absolutely must be first, an additional 10,000, $1 entries will be sold on a first come first serve basis. There will be no limit, aside from that imposed by supply, to the number of additional entries purchased.

In this way, we shall ensure a fair, entertaining, and lucrative preorder system.

And we ensure more (possibly unnecessary) hassle for those making and distributing the thing and more confusion and questions over the 'lottery' system.

As the old adage goes, Keep It Simple Stupid.

What about people who live in different timezones, work at different hours of the day or worse, work on the weekend. The date should be when Craig and co are good and ready. Anything else is entirely frivolous.

If the first 3000 to sell out within a few days then you can be certain they'll be trying to make more ASAP. We've waited this long, a bit longer won't hurt and at least the software will get a chance to mature more before you get one.

hotblack said:
And we ensure more (possibly unnecessary) hassle for those making and distributing the thing and more confusion and questions over the 'lottery' system.

It was a joke; I assumed that it was pretty much self evident, but I guess I'll need to give future posts a [sarcasm] tag.

Last edited by a moderator:
White Demon said:
After some comments in the '15th pre-order confirmed?' thread about the pre-order release date, I have decided to make this poll. Please note that this poll alone will not affect the release date - in the end it is Craigix's decision as to when the pre-order will go ahead.

With all the buzz about the Pandora, and moreso the concern over actually being able to actually get their pre-order in for the first 3000 batch, some have actually raised concern over the release date being on a weekday rather than weekend.

First of all, here is God Ginrai's and CronoTriggerfan's posts from the '15th pre-order confirmed?' thread about the 30th pre-order date.

God Ginrai:
I just hope that even if Craig doesn't give us an earlier pre-order, that he will at least tell us the ballpark of when he will start the pre-orders. Because, since this pre-order is starting on Tuesday instead of on the weekends, I have classes that I have to attend. As long as it is after 1 PM EST, I'll be fine, but if it's before that, I might need to consider skipping a class or two. However, I don't want to skip a class unless I know the pre-order will actually start during the period of time that that class takes up.
CronoTriggerfan:
I too think having preorders on a work/school day is a horrible idea. Not only is it not convenient to have a late night trying to snag one, but a purchase would be delayed into the evening for most people due to their busy schedules. After waiting this long to secure one, waiting 3 extra days until Saturday would be absolutely nothing. Or 2 days earlier on Sunday, depending on how it all works out. Either way, they should open the preorders up for folks on a weekend, as that's how this kinda thing is normally done, especially when it's a hyped product with limited numbers.

I also raised similar concern to God Ginrai's above in the previous thread as well.

These 2 posts really got me thinking that maybe the date SHOULD be changed to either the weekend before or the weekend after, the reason being that with the current release date being on a weekday, many people will have other commitments, school/work etc, and may not be able to get to a computer at the time the pre-order goes live, meaning that others who will have such access at the time get an advantage over those without access.

And then there is the worldwide aspect of this to think about, with people from all around the world wanting to place pre-orders, people who are really chomping at the bit to put their money down could be up at very strange times of night/day (for a weekday), anywhere from Monday night (West Coast USA/Canada) through to early hours of Wednesday morning (Australia/New Zealand), depending on when it goes live. Again, people who have to go to work through the week, depending on their country, could well be asleep when it goes up (I for one can not afford to stay up all night, for maybe up to 2 nights straight waiting for this to happen).

If the pre-order is placed on a weekend, this means that more people, worldwide, will be able to participate, as most people don't work on Saturday/Sunday and therefore can better afford to stay up all night and then will be able to go to bed, safe and content with the knowledge that they got their Pandora secured.

Sure, I realise that this may not suit everyone, as some people do work weekends/shift work and such, but no date/time is going to please everyone, and opening the pre-order on the weekend (either before or after the 30th, my vote goes to after) sounds like it could (should?) be a better option for many more people than it would inconvenience.

I would like to hear what others think about the pre-order date being on the 30th September, and whether they think it should be moved to the weekend before/after (or another date altogether) or not and why. Bear in mind though, as I said at the start of this post, Craigix has the final say on when the actual pre-order will take place. This is just to see what people think.

EDIT: dammit, where did my poll go?
Could the mods please add a poll to this thread?

Options:
1. Tuesday September 30 (do not move)
2. Saturday September 27
3. Saturday October 4
4. other (State when and why in your post)

People, please post what you think here. My poll has gone missing.

this thread is a waste of time, the preorder date is the 30th.

Who cares what other people would do if they could...it's not up to them..

sdedalus said:
hotblack said:

It was a joke; I assumed that it was pretty much self evident, but I guess I'll need to give future posts a [sarcasm] tag.

I realised it was tongue in cheek, but with the amount of crazy requests for setting up various draws and pre-pre-orders I just thought it worth being absolutely clear. I guess that was the point you were also making but in a different way, and some have grasped on all sorts of joke comments as fact and made expectations upon them. Some people will have thought a dodgy lottery with flashing lights would be a good thing ;)

Wonslung said:
this thread is a waste of time
And the majority of the other threads on here (especially recently) haven't?

Also, after what Craig wrote recently in another thread, I'm not so sure the Pandora isn't as unknown/not popular as others (such as Chip) seem to think. It could indeed be a rush come September 30.

Clearly we're not going to get any useful discussion out of this thread. The pre-order date has been set as the 30th. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back