Im Back! But With Bad News

Octavious

Programer Guru! ...in the making
Website
www.retroportables.4x2.net
Well, Im back now ( well, I wont be back for a little bit , the internet still hasnt been run to my new house ) and I dont really know if any noticed, but who cares
anyways, heres the deal

My HalfLife GPQuake mod isnt going to happen. I have run into a lot of problems in the last month And a few days Ive been offline and those have stopped the project. I can go more in detail but heres the basic jist...
* The GP cant run near fast enough on some of the maps Ive made ( I get about 3-6 frames on maps that have Scaling turned off [ it has to be off to get that Half Life feeling] )
* O ya, my modeller left the project ( he was better modeler than me )
* The GP dosnt have enough ram to run all the maps and models fast even with scaling off and some other things off
* There is almost no documentation on the engine anymore so.....
I cant seem to fix my problem, with light sources
I cant animate my models ( the vertex system is so damn retarted )
I cant get things to look right with only 256 colors, half of which are brown
I cant find documentation on how to add my own model routines

and I can go on for a longer while on why I had to stop
Just thought I should let the people know

~Octavious

Internet wasnt run to the house, so I worked on the project

I had implemented some models into the game, but when It got to loading them, the engine would crash saying I dont have a proper multiple in the size, and I can find info about that anywhere
thats the part that made me the maddest, all that work and the damn models cant be used in the engine

also, the 500 poly limit was kinda restricting....

~Octavious

FloridaRolf posted on Mar 8 2005 at 05:50 PM said:
nobody expected that you'd be able to get something to work anyway.
Your replies are never that nice but seriously, stop kicking him when he's down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huxley posted on Mar 8 2005 at 05:10 PM said:
Sad to hear it. The GP32 could really do with a slice of Half-Life :(

For now we can play the Half Life Doom Wad :D but it would of been a real kick ass quake mod had it been finished :(

sad to hear youve stopped, im sorry i couldnt help with the models, if i knew more about quake i would have loved to help but it would take me too long to learn how it all works properly, specailly with my exams in a couple months.

All that work could be put to use in a homebrew game though, couldn't it?

Since that baby render people have been saying PlayStation quality graphics might be possible on the GP32.

Rico posted on Mar 8 2005 at 06:06 PM said:
FloridaRolf posted on Mar 8 2005 at 05:50 PM said:
nobody expected that you'd be able to get something to work anyway.
Your replies are never that nice but seriously, stop kicking him when he's down.
Yes, that's true.

Octavious, if you were good enough to do half life on Quake will you be trying a new idea? Anything new is good in my book.

if anyone has any good documentation on modeling for quake 1 id have a go at a mod. (probably not half life but somthing) but while i dont know how the models work its a bit of a non starter. (would take a long time to make though)

Such a shame the GP32 isnt powerful enough, hopefuly the next GP console (if there is one) has a nice big screen, more buttons.. better control stick response & at least a couple 100 mhz faster than current handhelds.

well, If it had more than 256 colors, or atleast 256 real colors, not 160 shades of grey,black, and brown , then it could atleast look similar to Half Life
However, theres lots of things missing
*non-enemy AI
*multiple enemies on screen = end of GP32 lol ( massive lag, froze up once )
* SKELETOL ANIMATION SYSTEM
* I couldnt find a skinning program for Quake 1 model skinning that was good, it took a screen shot of front and back and thats what you colored, and that made the sides and top look terrible
* theres only 4 blues that I can remember in the pallete
* it turned out my models were all 1/2-1/4 the size they needed to be, and they wouldnt fit in the engine at proper sizes ( has to be a multiple, but it dosnt let me change that.... grrrr
* That damn animation mode again....
*sourced particles

Hopefully, the next GP ( or the PSP that Ill get soon ) could have Quake 3 engine ported to it
that has lots of things that can come in handy.....
colors...
Particles that look right
AI
and for gods sake, DOCUMENTATION!!

If anyone wants to try and make a game using some HL stuff, let me know, Ill lend a hand

~Octavious

Back