I'm making a Sonic game for the PC

I must say this is looking absolutly superb, I've always enjoyed Sonic The Comic, although I only started getting them about issue 70 and I missed quite a few from 110-160 because finding them where I live was pretty random.

Are you planning to just cover the main stories or also some of the side stories? It'd be pretty cool to have some ones like Ocean Of Horror (STC 1995 Summer Special) in there just to add a little variety.

Flipside posted on Sep 13 2005 said:
I must say this is looking absolutly superb, I've always enjoyed Sonic The Comic, although I only started getting them about issue 70 and I missed quite a few from 110-160 because finding them where I live was pretty random.

Are you planning to just cover the main stories or also some of the side stories? It'd be pretty cool to have some ones like Ocean Of Horror (STC 1995 Summer Special) in there just to add a little variety.

Just the main for now, I'm still getting comfortable with the script and have yet to discover the limitations so only time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, this looks really good! One thing I'd like to point out though (and it's a minor fault) - the legs on that red robot look like they're a bit too close together at the waist; they look like they're overlapping slightly. It might just be the angle, though.

I think a lot of people would be willing to help you with stuff like level design and so on, so don't hesitate to ask (I've never worked on a 3D game, but there are bound to be others who have).

Esn posted on Sep 14 2005 said:
Wow, this looks really good! One thing I'd like to point out though (and it's a minor fault) - the legs on that red robot look like they're a bit too close together at the waist; they look like they're overlapping slightly. It might just be the angle, though.

I think a lot of people would be willing to help you with stuff like level design and so on, so don't hesitate to ask (I've never worked on a 3D game, but there are bound to be others who have).

I'll look into the model problem, although I would imagine its the angle. I get offers with help for level design on a daily basis (I get about 10 emails a day about this game!) but the only help I will need is with bits which aren't in the comics (basically the playable bits to make it a game) but I can't begin them due to the fact that I don't know what the game will play like.

In order to know I need to code an engine, I've started this but I'm having real problems, it seems I can code a decent control system with a good intelligent camera (i.e it doesn't go through walls and shifts to match the proximity of a character to an object) but when I add the walking animation function they totally throw the camera and reverse the axis of the player model.

This means nothing to anyone I know but it just shows that I need help with programming rather than aesthetics, and nobody likes to program for someone elses project.

markusdragon posted on Sep 14 2005 said:
anyone expecting a game to pop up over night it a fool.

Which is why I never got past The Games Factory.
Wonder if Clickteam were still interested in porting a MMF runtime over to the GP32?!?

Waaaay to long since I last put out an update.

Well I now have something you can all fiddle around with. For the last 3 days I have been battling with code to try and get a decent camera made and my player model moving and animated.

Viola!

DEMO

You can only walk around but it's a start and it shows off the graphical quality I am aiming for, this has taken me a long time to learn to do.

Resolution is fixed at 1024x768 and 32bit colour.

Controls are a,s,w,d ****PRESS F8 TO USE 3RD PERSON MODE****

I have a lot more time to work on this now so expect alot more, alot sooner.

Twimfy posted on Apr 4 2006 said:

Well I now have something you can all fiddle around with. For the last 3 days I have been battling with code to try and get a decent camera made and my player model moving and animated.

Viola!

DEMO

You can only walk around but it's a start and it shows off the graphical quality I am aiming for, this has taken me a long time to learn to do.

wait, windows only?

I'm on linux...

DemonStar55 posted on Apr 5 2006 said:
Twimfy posted on Apr 4 2006 said:

Viola!

DEMO

wait, windows only?

I'm on linux...

Yeah sorry, as far as I'm aware there is no way to make this linux compatible, sorry.

Rico posted on Apr 5 2006 said:
looks good except for the clipping and the camera angle needs to be higher and more distant IMO.

Yeah, In every other forum I mentioned about the clipping and camera but forgot to here for some reason.

That camera is the most difficult thing I've ever coded and to get it to do what it's doing now is hard enough, I intend to assign the mouse to looking around when I figure out how.

I have a camera clipping script but it wreaks havoc with my sky box so I haven't implemented it yet.

Collision detection is limited to simple x and y co-ordinates but this will be fixed soon.

Thanks for the feedback.

The demo runs under wine quite happily. Only minor glitch on Linux is that it forgets to put your resolution back when it quits.
It looks quite nice but you could look at tying the movement to accelleration rather than a linear forward backward movement in order to capture some of the feel of the original game. Then have a peek at altering the walk cycle as the speed increases.
Other than that it's starting to take shape nicely.

sam fisher posted on Apr 5 2006 said:
Whats it written in? I havent even looked at it yet but just wondering.

Made in A6 3D gamestudio, written in whats known as C-script basically the engines own library based on the C++ syntax.

(naw)mcx posted on Apr 6 2006 said:
Yeah. I will try it again

Not working still

Hmm, strange, you're the only person to report this yet, I will look into it although TBH you're not missing much, this more a test than a demo. A demo will be out soon enough.

All working fine for me, including F8.

About the F8 problem, you're not using one of them Microsoft keyboards that have like a function switch option. It's the keyboard that has lots of other functions on the F keys such as Help Undo etc. If so, press F Lock to get it back to normal F keys.

Sorry if I'm teaching Granny's to suck eggs here, but it's the only thing I can think of to explain the problem. Unless your F8 key is faulty :unsure: .

Back