I'm Nearly Sold On The Gp2x... Just A Few Questions.

Treebiter

Still Fresh
Hi all. I'm seriously considering buying one of these but need just a little more convincing.

Has anyone ported the following games? UFO: Enemy Unknown (X-COM: UFO Defence for US readers) and its sequal Terror from the deep? These are my fav games of all time and would sell my soul to be able to play them on the go. Also, Wasteland, Darklands, Jagged Alliance 1 and 2, Frontier: Elite II (PC version... Prettier than than the Amiga one) and Zangband. I would add System shock 2, but don't know if that's too demanding of the system.

If not, what's the likelyhood of them getting ported in the future (UFO specifically)?

I know the sourcecode is needed for porting, but don't know whether Microprose in the case of UFO has released it and if they ever will. I'm not expecting good news but thought it worth a post.

Thanks in advance guys.

re: Zangband -- Dzz's Nethack port is very, very good indeed.

zodttd is involved in a port of DOSbox with a dynarec which may make it feasible to play some of those games, but it could be a way off yet.

If your only reason to buy a GP2X is for playing any particular games, I wouldn't bother, you're just be disappointed.

Look at what's actually available and what you're going to use the GP2X for and decide for yourself.

It's up to you, not people on this forum to convince you to buy one.

Thanks for the swift replies.

TelcoLou: Thanks, your concise reply spoke volumes. :)

GunPei2X: Two gobbits of good news, ta. Nethack's hard as nails though and I might end up using my GP2X as a missile whilst in a rage... Good game though.

Parkydr: It's not the only reason I want one. I'm an old Amiga player (Ah, the good old days of Amiga Power) and being able to play classics like Wings (anyone remember that one?), Jetstrike and Base Jumpers is reason enough to get one, as well as console classics like Star Ocean, Chronotrigger and Zombies ate my parents.

To be honest, I'm as tight as a badgers arse and the ability to play the aforementioned would have loosened my purse-strings considerably. Ah well, spose I'll just have to bite the bullet. Wish I could code... I'd make my own version of UFO :(

Treebiter posted on Dec 29 2006 at 09:55 AM said:
Parkydr: It's not the only reason I want one. I'm an old Amiga player (Ah, the good old days of Amiga Power) and being able to play classics like Wings (anyone remember that one?), Jetstrike and Base Jumpers is reason enough to get one, as well as console classics like Star Ocean, Chronotrigger and Zombies ate my parents.

Well, it looks like there was a version of X-COM UFO Defense made for the Amiga as well. You could just play it on GP2X's Amiga emulator.

Last edited by a moderator:
*Does best Randy Marsh impression* Oh, My, God!

... you're right! I completely forgot about that! It was the review of the Amiga version that first made me want to get the game. I could kiss you sir! That's it, it's settled, I'm getting one. :)

I played Wasteland on Dosbox, though I forget how well/badly it ran.

No Zangband as yet, you'll have to stick with Nethack :p

Hate to burst your bubble, but I don't think X-Com works on the Amiga emus yet (anyone confirm? Or is it just very slow?), and Star Ocean doesn't yet work on SNES (it has a special chip which is not emulated). But both could come in time.

On the good news front, Wings runs great, as does Chrono Trigger and Zombies Ate My Neighbours :)

Bugger and Blast! Ah, well If wings runs that'll be great. I'm going to order my Gp2x tomorrow. By the way, is it worth the extra money for the Power pack bundle (the 266 MHz one)?

[Edit] Just read that theres a port of Ultima 7. If I knew that I wouldn't have started this post :)

For the type of games you specifically want to play (Amiga, SNES and DOS), then definitely YES.

For everything else, no.

edit: Yeah, Exult (Ultima 7 interpreter) is superb.

GunPei2X posted on Dec 29 2006 at 11:50 PM said:
For the type of games you specifically want to play (Amiga, SNES and DOS), then definitely YES.

For everything else, no.

edit: Yeah, Exult (Ultima 7 interpreter) is superb.

That's sorted then. Thanks B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back