im new to this and need help

johnnyfamiliar

kills robots for fun
so ive recently come across this site and i am very interested in getting a pandora but i have some questions i need answered first. like can i use the roms i have currently downloaded on my pc or would i have to find new ones? and do you have to download the emulators directly to your pandora?

All roms from your computer will work as long as there is an emulator compatible with it. Yes you have to download emulators for your Pandora, they are available from repo.openpandora.org

sup welcome to the magic of the pandora.

most roms work perfectly fine the only exception is mame and neogeo have to be from a specific rom set, i cant remember which atm my memorys rubbish but if you search the forum alittle there are lot of usefull threads.

and you can either download pnds directly to the panda or through your pc to a sd card the choise is yours, whichever method you prefer.

A really good thread for new uses is the New pandora owner? and Tips, hints and tweeks thread both started by Gruso these are both a really good threads that will cover most questions you could want to ask really comprehensively. really usefull and a good read.

The pandora is the absolute muts nuts this little devise has taken over my life, i assure you if you ever get one in your hands you wont be able to put it down

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you for the answers. i do hope to have one of these devices soon. after just seeing the pictures of it and hearing the talk about it, i already cant picture a life without it haha. so anyone know if there is any drawbacks to this little badboy?

thank you for the answers. i do hope to have one of these devices soon. after just seeing the pictures of it and hearing the talk about it, i already cant picture a life without it haha. so anyone know if there is any drawbacks to this little badboy?
Welcome to the boards johnny.

I know some drawbacks. Your eyes and brain can become quite fatigued at the end of the day as you tend to spend all waiting time with the Pandora. As a side-effect, there are no quiet moments during the day anymore to digest all your experiences. Aside from that, there is a rather high risk of having an unhealthy obsession with your unit which prevents you from parting with it.

It's just that good! :p

Really there shouldn't be any actual drawbacks as this is the second try, the first units had some problems with the nubs, wifi, and the lcd cable. All of these have been permanently resolved... FOREVER!

in all honesty the only draw back i have found is that some of the earliest pandoras that were shipped have had a minor issue with the hinge developing minor hairline cracks these will develop into a full crack or hole if untreated. however there is another thread about sugru which will fill all cracks and prevent further damage so if you catch it early enough there is no problems also sugrus jet black so fixs are also barely noticable.

Also i believe that new cases are around 20 bucks so if you happen to be anal enough to be concerend about minor cosmetic defects then replacement cases are cheap.

Also if you search the forum about cases of issue users have experienced you will see the big positive of the pandora is the creators really care about customer satisfaction and will bend over backwards to get the devise fixed right up and good as new. Ive not had to use them at all but all the posts ive seen and read have given massive aplause to ED and craig for there willingness to recieve and fix up any pandora featuring problems.

There were some minor bugs in the operating system at the begining but ive not had any issues since hotfix 5 and weve had a few new releases sinse then, and will have more in the future. and it gets better and better every day with an average two apps a day being uploaded to the repo.

....its another one of "them"!

on topic, search forum for quake and baldurs gate(GemRB)

do you have to download the emulators directly to your pandora?

I think this question might have been misinterpreted, so just in case:

No, although you can, you don't have to download any software directly to the Pandora, you can download on your PC, and transfer whatever emulators or programs you want to use to an SD card for the Pandora whenever you want.

I think he meant another Megaman fanatic :D

Welcome. We've got room for two.
There'll be an army of us in no time. ;)

Welcome aboard, johnnyfamiliar!

Last edited by a moderator:
And as for old PC games, it depends. If there's a port available (such as Baldur's Gate via GemRB or Doom via DoomRunner), then great. If not, try DOSBox, but don't expect much; it doesn't perform as well as some would like.

Also, drawbacks; the OS is not as polished as even most Linux distros. It is perfectly usable and stable, however. It just needs a bit more love. Chalk this one up to lack of manpower. Remember that you're not dealing with a corporation, only a bunch of guys who believe that this thing can work.

Back