I'm surprisingly a bit sad :/

Linux-SWAT

Forum Addict!
Hi !

After having see the official Pyra announcement, passed the excitement, i'm now a bit sad. Same feeling as the end of holidays or something like nostalgia.

It's because the Pandora chapter will be closed soon, and it was something important for me for various reasons.

Not that i'm not happy, especially for ED and the end of his labour, but i'm really surprised to be in this state of mind.

Maybe some of you also share this feeling.

I am just starting to get really exited and haven't been exited about anything for a long time before.

I'm nostalgic too. I'm also happy for the next handheld. I don't know which is the plan on supporting the OS, but at least I know I'm going to keep working on software for it. Pandora is my first open handheld so I'm not going to abandon it just like that. I think the Pandora chapter will be open as long as the community supports it and that could be a very long time (I'm more worried about pandora's hardware decay though, I mean nubs, lcd cables, keymats, etc). 

I agree with you Linux-SWAT. The Pandora has had its good and bad times within the 2 months it has been around.

I have a good strong feeling that the Pyra will be less of a problem, have better support (especially from the Debian Community), better software and a much more vast range as everything has been designed by the right people. Let's hope there's no major hiccups this time and everything goes smoothly.

I am extremely excited for this next chapter and damn well will be prepared for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a little sad when ED announced the limited number of new Pandoras he could produce, but I'm mostly over that now. End of an era for sure, but it's also the dawning of a new age. The king is dead, long live the king!

It's because the Pandora chapter will be closed soon, and it was something important for me for various reasons.
Well the Pandora, being a completely open device, has no reason to "die" tomorrow. Not like in the console world where a company decides from one day to another to completely stop supporting a previous generation.

As long as they are people owning and developing on Pandora there will be stuff coming out for it. And it will still remain a great device to do many, many things. I don't know when the Pyra will come out, but I'm positive I'll use my Pandora until then without interruption, and probably even beyond.

Yes. I can relate to that nostalgic feeling. I have an aversion for the Pyra right now. It is intruding in the OpenPandora space.

Well, for my every day use, I have no need for a Pyra (until, I have one, then the "need" starts existing, just like a need for, say, an Iphone 7). But having an "old" Pandora lying around it will allow for modding without fear, finding other uses for it and be handed down to the next generation (to the kids).

Of couse, getting HDMI and Debian will make it a very nice docking station handheld thingie.

Mostly, do not forget that we need new Pyra users from outside the Pandora community, so our ecosystem gets a boost from that too.

I am getting a bit tired of iOS / Android / Nintendo / Microsoft / Sony bickering.. I like the idea of something unique to get away from that.. The Pyra ticks all those boxes and even better I could use it at work. (Tax claim too :p ).

I will also admit the last few months I haven't touched my Pandora much primarily because i've been busy doing everything else like converting analogue video tapes and 35mm film to Digital. Now that part is done and everything is safe on Dropbox I will start spending more time with the Pandora and here :) .

Back