Imagine

hobbyman II said:
* ie: Craig gets hit by bus or has breakdown and spends funds on wild living, or sells out to Nintendo/Sony for millions and just sends everyone a refund etc, lots of possible scenarios...but VERY remote possibilities imo.

Or he could develop an interest for electric cars :)

Last edited by a moderator:
the Tesladora? the PanTesla? the C6? aaaaaaargh! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :eek:

btw, after seeing the start of MicroMen I have sadly had to remove Clive S from my (admittedly unresearched) "People I admire" list, if that's anything like a real representation of Sir Clive then imo he's just an arrogant childish brat riding on the backs of the people who actually designed the products, he just got lucky with the start of the home computer/ PC / 8 bit boom (as did Billy boy), lot's of people did well with early computers, if he wasn't around then the Atmos or Dragon or any of the numerous other devices would have been a bigger player (-2 points to Dragon for using chipmakers reference design and crappy MS authored basic :angry: )

he'd obviously lost the plot by the time he decided to manufacture electric cars/bikes, redesigning the bike from the ground up just resulted in an ugly, uncomfortable, clumsy monstrosity (zike), rather than the "refined over time" efficient cycles we know of, re-inventing the wheel "cos I can do it better" is just crying out for a heavy dose of hubris, as for the "car", I just don't want to go there..........

Ok so maybe I will make two posts in my life. Just FEI: http://pandorawiki.org/Projects_Under_Development

Kinda looks very promising to me as a pre-release list. Yes maybe Craig will get hit by a bus or nothing will happen, but that is not what I believe.

I believe it will come out and I will receive it in the post, and I will have many years of happy portable gaming.

Peace out.
SL8IT Productions.

^ :)

hobbyman II said:
the Tesladora? the PanTesla? the C6? aaaaaaargh! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :eek:

btw, after seeing the start of MicroMen I have sadly had to remove Clive S from my (admittedly unresearched) "People I admire" list, if that's anything like a real representation of Sir Clive then imo he's just an arrogant childish brat riding on the backs of the people who actually designed the products, he just got lucky with the start of the home computer/ PC / 8 bit boom (as did Billy boy), lot's of people did well with early computers, if he wasn't around then the Atmos or Dragon or any of the numerous other devices would have been a bigger player (-2 points to Dragon for using chipmakers reference design and crappy MS authored basic :angry: )

he'd obviously lost the plot by the time he decided to manufacture electric cars/bikes, redesigning the bike from the ground up just resulted in an ugly, uncomfortable, clumsy monstrosity (zike), rather than the "refined over time" efficient cycles we know of, re-inventing the wheel "cos I can do it better" is just crying out for a heavy dose of hubris, as for the "car", I just don't want to go there..........
I think they took a lot of creative liberties for the sake of entertaiment. Naturally Sir Clive writes the whole thing off as rubbish. :rolleyes: The truth no doubt lies somewhere in between. Hubris though, that's a given. I think a healthy dose of it is mandatory for any entrepreneur.

MooTheKow said:
I think some of you are seriously over-estimating:

1) How many of the 4000 preorders are developers and
2) How many of the people in that 4,000 that are developers are actually going to contribute anything super meaningful.

Not having the Pandora is not some huge insurmountable obstacle that is going to limit people's ability to development work for this project (in fact - I have a hard time seeing anyone doing any actual development work on an actual Pandora as it just would be incredibly impractical).

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade - but some of you probably should temper your expectations of the software for this thing for quite a long while.

Yes and no on this. I'm one of the said developers, though a fairly new one. I don't know how anybody else feels, but my projects have been on indefinite hold, waiting for the Pandora. They could've been done a long time ago. Heck, they could've been done for said gp2x, and now that the Pandora Angst contest is out there, I'm actually working on it. (Including the fricken cross-compile environment.) I don't anticipate any of them will be earth shattering. I hope that my pixel creator for 8 and 16-bit alike projects is useful, and the 2d side scrolling game is fun, and that any tutorials I put up for other newb programmers are handy but I don't anticipate any of this being "earth shattering".

That said, if the experienced programmers out there feel the same way, their could be quite a bevy of first class games designs just sitting there idling.

And the Pandora has some specialized hardware. The GLES 2.0 stuff, in particular, will either need a Pandora, or something like a Beagle Board to get running properly. Not all the developers who've purchased a Pandora will go out and get the BB too. Even if they do, the BB just isn't the Pandora. I remember doing GBA development, and there's just something about having your projects run on the hardware you're coding for that's satisfying.

Either way, time will tell.

KodeIn said:
paddy said:
2.we already have this apart from hd movie playback ,again in the future
Well, it's not really useful to be able to decode HD movie on a device with a 800x480 screen and without VGA, DVI or HDMI out...
Moreover if you re-encode your movie, you'll be able to put more of them on your SD card. ;)

But I don't Want to re-encode, and in fact intend to use the card in the Pandora to transfer shows (some HD) between PCs, if I can watch them in transit then I intend to, even scaled down to 800x450 (16x9 on a 15x9...)
That said, even overclocking might not get it there, but to say it wouldn't be useful I disagree with.

davidgro said:
But I don't Want to re-encode, and in fact intend to use the card in the Pandora to transfer shows (some HD) between PCs, if I can watch them in transit then I intend to, even scaled down to 800x450 (16x9 on a 15x9...)
That said, even overclocking might not get it there, but to say it wouldn't be useful I disagree with.
I'll probably re-encode even if the CPU can decode HD stuff - remember, higher CPU usage means shorter battery life. If we get a DSP codec, this might not be as important, but I don't know if anyone has tested the DSP's power usage.

Back