Import Gaming On The Ps2

Mosch

Reeks of fish
Website
Visit site
So I bought a cheap PS2 (the older, bulkier version) because my mother wanted to play Singstar and looking around a little I find several import games that I would be interested in.
However, for some reason, Satan invented region protection.
I was looking at my options for some time and and basically it seems I have two:
1) Get a mod chip (and preferably someone to solder it in for me)
2) Use the Memory Card Exploit and swap discs.

I am pretty much an utter noob in those respects, so I am looking for some help from you lot. Does anyone have any experience with disc swapping and does it usually work? If I chose to go the mod chip route, which chip should I choose or is there no big difference?
As I really want to save the 90€ that shops around here usually want for a mod chip installation, I would really prefer the switch method though...

So, what do you guys prefer? What are the pros/cons to the two methods? Is there maybe a hidden third method I have not yet read about?
Thanks in advance.

I have a modchip lying around, but i cant use it, because my PS2 is the new v14.
If you have soldering skills, i could sell it to you and you solder it in yourself. Its a modbo 2.1 with preinstalled firmware. Plays imports, pirate copies, every DVD from around the world, removes macrovision etc.

PM me if interested. I´m going to mod my PS2 soon with a Duo3.

So I bought a cheap PS2 (the older, bulkier version) because my mother wanted to play Singstar and looking around a little I find several import games that I would be interested in.
I was looking at my options for some time and and basically it seems I have two:
1) Get a mod chip (and preferably someone to solder it in for me)
2) Use the Memory Card Exploit and swap discs.

I am pretty much an utter noob in those respects, so I am looking for some help from you lot. Does anyone have any experience with disc swapping and does it usually work? If I chose to go the mod chip route, which chip should I choose or is there no big difference?
As I really want to save the 90€ that shops around here usually want for a mod chip installation, I would really prefer the switch method though...

So, what do you guys prefer? What are the pros/cons to the two methods? Is there maybe a hidden third method I have not yet read about?
Thanks in advance.
You got the large PS2? If so you can use the memory card exploit. Look here for more info: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=27024&hl=

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the memory card exploit for imports, simply because I don't have to open up the unit. It's really easy.

i use swapmagic, you remove the front of the disc tray, pop in swap magic disc, put the slide tool in, pull the tray out, insert import, push tray in, slide tool in, slide it back, start, easy and works.

I concur. Goverment clearly states it was God who invented region protection and it was Satan who invented emulation.

I have a modchip lying around, but i cant use it, because my PS2 is the new v14.
If you have soldering skills, i could sell it to you and you solder it in yourself. Its a modbo 2.1 with preinstalled firmware. Plays imports, pirate copies, every DVD from around the world, removes macrovision etc.

PM me if interested. I´m going to mod my PS2 soon with a Duo3.

I have NO IDEA what modchip does what or how they differ in quality. In fact I don't even know what version my PS2 has because it has not yet arrived. Thanks for the offer though.

It seems as if the memory card exploit works nicely, so I suppose I'll stick to that one. Now to get an Action Replay too.....

I would go for swap magic instead to be honest, its so much simpler, I went crazy with super glue and modded my slimline PS2 so it works without the swap tool...just hope that disc break stays stuck!

Back