Improved promotional media

DoodleMonger

Still Fresh
TL;DR "The Pyra keyboard has awful glare, I wouldn't buy that thing!"

----

This is a continuation of https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/th...s-kernel-prototypes.98939/page-2#post-1668099

I've always had a problem with keys, especially shine and poor contrast with dark blue on black keys.

Layout and visibility is important to me, and it's exceedingly frustrating to not have good promotional material which shows the keyboard properly. Surf through Dell's website and try to figure out where pageup is.

I've been able to troll through things enough to find renders and off-angle photographs, but I'd like to make a thread specifically addressing the concern of better photographs and videos.

----

Here is an example amateur photograph:

(I didn't think to create a collection of pictures I've seen)

Some improvements already exist:

- clear keys (not black)
- orange text (not blue)
- backlight

The pictures aren't realistic because they are on an angle to showcase the full device and screen.

So top-down pictures would show realistic glare (real-world use is important to show), and and pure promotional pictures should use a polarized lens to unrealistically remove glare entirely.

I've got a document camera and a lightbox and intend to take less-terrible pictures, but perhaps some discussion here could help others improve their own creations.

Well, Grench did ask for the discussion to be moved out of his thread, so here is it.

I'm not sure what you mean by not black keys on the Pyra. The base colour is black, as far as I've seen.

Not many people have units yet and I imagine once the Final units are out we'll get proper photos done (As the case isn't painted yet and that will misrepresent the final unit)

If you want to see photos of Pyras or the evolution of it, check out the Gamescom threads where many posted the photos they took.
Taking new promotional photos with prototype parts make no sense.

Well, Grench did ask for the discussion to be moved out of his thread, so here is it.
Correction. I wanted it out of ED's bug report thread.

Not many people have units yet and I imagine once the Final units are out we'll get proper photos done (As the case isn't painted yet and that will misrepresent the final unit)

I suspect @DoodleMonger might not understand what they are looking at. The above photo is of a -prototype-. These are not final units. Going through making promotional images would be very premature. The pictures I took and take of my prototype are not meant for the purpose you seem to think they should be.

@DoodleMonger charge is noble as it feels he wants only the best for the project.

Imho, publicitywise, it is a grey area. Neat photos are nice for new comers, for me, the more amateur the better as it shows real use and I can read the pixels into those uses.
He is giving advises, free teaching, so it is a take it or leave it for me, and that info can also be useful for other stuff people do here like personal projects.

Personally, I love the amateur way of doing it as it adds personality to it, brings people closer to the project, it is not iphone 20 with lazers and billions of market money like the thing is hyper ultra perfect almost alien, the big mac picture on the menu/propaganda you are never going to handle neither eat, but a human made project for humans with all the things that goes along with it.

edit: @Grench , whatever prototype info there is is going to became promotional, no doubt about that, it does not mater what they should be. ;)

It is somewhat amusing to consider what I had seen before I ordered my Pandora back in the day, FWIW. Namely, some renders which didn't actually look much like the final unit and some videos mainly shot in the dark.

Well since it's at the preorder stage, it's important to actually convince people to preorder by realistically showing what's being preordered. Right now there are pictures at angles a person wouldn't use it at.

Even if there were only prototypes, the keys aren't prototypes are they?

Even if there were only prototypes, the keys aren't prototypes are they?
There are lots of other pictures of the keys though. That picture you keep going back to was purposely done only to show that I had Hostile Takeover running.

Likely not to the quality of photography you want, but did you see any of the other ones I took of my prototype or just the one picture in the debug thread?

Back