Incorrect Joystick Input

BradN posted on Dec 15 2005 at 08:49 AM said:
Another control option would be a slightly rotated 8 way, example:

virtual : physical
up : up <or> up and up-right
up-right : up-right <or> up-right and right

etc... might take a little getting used to for maximum effectiveness, but it makes all of the zone sizes the same, and the "pure" directions (up, up-right, right, etc) are still recognized correctly. It's just a way to deal with the ambiguous left/right/up/down + diagonal inputs without totally favoring the diagonals over the 'base' directions or vice versa.

Not needed. The Atari 800 and C64 use the case 2 type (see sig) and the diagonals are STILL to easy to hit. Your method would make it even worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Dec 13 2005 at 09:31 PM said:
foft posted on Dec 13 2005 at 08:43 PM said:
I did case2 in the atari800 emulator. Found it was most realistic since angles were hard on the old sticks.

I'll add full configuration in 0.9 (if anyone ever bothers getting 0.8;-)).

Mark

Yes it seems to work good. And you are right angles were harder on old sticks, and all d-pads as well. That is why I think the case 2 is good for emulating old 8-way sticks/pads.

I played the emu and it seems to work well this way.

I could see using other cases for some specific games though.
Case 1 would be good for emulating analog Sticks like Atari-5200 games like Missile command and Centipede. Not all 5200 games would use it though, Pac-Man for example.
Case 5 would work well for Pac-Man and Frogger.
Case 6 would work well for Q*bert.
Case 2 for everything else.

By the way your emu rocks! I am glad you ported it :) Keep up the fine job.

I completely agree with this. It would be excellent to be able to switch modes depending on the game/system being emulated.

I wish I had a gp2x to test some of these ideas out on, so I would look like less of a moron with random suggestions :)

foft posted on Dec 13 2005 at 03:43 PM said:
I did case2 in the atari800 emulator. Found it was most realistic since angles were hard on the old sticks.

I'll add full configuration in 0.9 (if anyone ever bothers getting 0.8;-)).

Mark

If it weren't for this post, I wouldn't even have known a newer version was out. Somebody might want to look at getting the download archive updated.

Igboo

Edit: I still can't seem to get this to work right. Could someone give me the actual file/tree layout for an install in /mnt/sd/Games?

Back