Interesting Geekiness: Gp2x & P Use About The Same Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCmachined

In a bored mood thinking about the pandora i decided to play around with some numbers and worked out:

capacity of Pandora battery = 3.7 V * 4000mAh = 14,800 mWh - openpandora.org battery blog post. Not 5V.
capacity of two rechargeable AAs for GP2X = 2500 mAh * 2.4 V = 6,000 mWh (batts in series)

14,800 mWh = 14.8 watthours, 6,000 mWh = 6 watthours.

Panda lasts 10 hours so power usage is 14.8 watthours / 10 hours = 1.48 watts
2x lasts about 4 hours last time i bench'd it so 6 watthours / 4 hours = 1.5 watts.

About the same, but the Panda's battery is about 2 and a half times larger so it lasts much longer :)
Cool that the Panda takes the same power despite having so much more horsepower (presuming my calculations are accurate)

Energy wise, P's battery capacity in kilojoules (kJ) will be watthours * 60² = 14.8 * 3600 ~= 53,000 J or 53 kJ. About a tenth of a mars bar worth :lol:

CC_machine said:
Energy wise, P's battery capacity in kilojoules (kJ) will be watthours * 60² = 14.8 * 3600 ~= 53,000 J or 53 kJ. About a tenth of a mars bar worth :lol:

Confirmed: Pandora can run on chocolate!

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
CC_machine said:

Confirmed: Pandora can run on chocolate!
that would be... so awesome! except i'm afraid i would eat the chocolate first

We should get a USB Mr Fusion machine like they stick on the Back to the Future Car!

2699146732_5a1dda7218.jpg

That would only work if you could run at "EIGHTY EIGHT MILES PER HOUUUUUUR" while playing Pandora.
We also need 1 point tenty eight jiggawatts.

That's the great thing about ARM they try and keep things efficient :)

PokeParadox said:
I believe you mean "one point two one JIGAWATTS!" :D

Defo said:
PokeParadox said:

I believe you mean "one point two one GIGAWATTS!" :p
Christopher Lloyd mispronounced it and no one caught the mistake, so it became the canon. It's still spelled gigawatt though.

CC_machine said:
Panda lasts 10 hours so power usage is 14.8 watthours / 10 hours = 1.48 watts
2x lasts about 4 hours last time i bench'd it so 6 watthours / 4 hours = 1.5 watts.

Give me your GP2X! Mine only lasts half that!

Aww, I was just about to reference BTTF when I saw I had been beat. Heck with it.

ONE POINT TWO ONE GIGAWATTS?!?!?!

Give me your GP2X! Mine only lasts half that!

really? get yourself some new batteries, your AAs are most likely reduced in capacity after years of recharge cycles. same thing happens to a laptop...

And people still think AA's offer a much better option to power systems like this (and consider theirselves smart)

agreed, although ill still be building myself an AA powered charger for power on the go, cant beat £1 for a set of AAs from the pound shop when my gp2x's dead just to power it til i get home :lol:

Pandora's 8.5 hours on full load at 500MHz - that's what you should compare it to IMO because whatever you were running on the GP2X was probably at full load (things tend to busy loop on GP2X).

I think pronouncing giga with a soft g is valid, just back then the prefix wasn't in the kind of common usage it is now so a typical pronunciation wasn't settled on :B

PokeParadox said:
That would only work if you could run at "EIGHTY EIGHT MILES PER HOUUUUUUR" while playing Pandora.

That's the great thing about ARM they try and keep things efficient :)

WizardStan said:
Defo said:
PokeParadox said:

I believe you mean "one point two one GIGAWATTS!" :p
Christopher Lloyd mispronounced it and no one caught the mistake, so it became the canon. It's still spelled gigawatt though.

You are all wrong, and need to watch the trilogy again. It's one point twenty one jigawatts, and Christopher Lloyd did say it right, as you would say jigahertz as well as jigawats, look up english phonetics and you'll see he did say it correctly.

CandidStan said:
You are all wrong, and need to watch the trilogy again. It's one point twenty one jigawatts, and Christopher Lloyd did say it right, as you would say jigahertz as well as jigawats, look up english phonetics and you'll see he did say it correctly.

From Wikipedia:
"Brown pronounces gigawatts as "jigowatts", which was the manner a physicist said the word when he met with Zemeckis and Gale as they researched the script"
And from dictionary.com:
[gig-uh-wot, jig-]... dang. Fine, both are acceptable. You win this time, Gadget. But next time, NEXT TIME!

All I wanted was a mr fusion :( and I caused a right cuffuflement...

And anyway, part I is the only good one, after that they just get so repetitively boring! And massive holes in the storyline emerge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back