Interesting Job opening at Valve Soft.

Wow - that'd be great.

Nothing more to say about this really. Just that it would probably be really, really good for the opensource world. But I'm not getting my hopes up on this either.

They have been searching for guys porting stuff to Linux before, keep in mind that Valve is also providing dedicated servers for Linux.

the phoronix forum guys found some linux bits in the mac steam client, they got the login screen working
Those 'bits' were only some lines in the startup shell scripts. The real stuff was found on a server, but it was taken down when the whole euphoria got too much. Actually, they got even past the login screen to the main window.

Last edited by a moderator:
They have been searching for guys porting stuff to Linux before, keep in mind that Valve is also providing dedicated servers for Linux.

Those 'bits' were only some lines in the startup shell scripts. The real stuff was found on a server, but it was taken down when the whole euphoria got too much. Actually, they got even past the login screen to the main window.

Or it could of been left over from the Steam client they did release for Linux back in 2003, it only allowed people to download linux dedicated servers for valve games.

http://www.fileplanet.com/126568/120000/fileinfo/Steam-v2.0-Beta-Client-%5BLinux%5D

They've said they aren't making a linux version of steam. Very recently, too. So I don't think they'd change their mind and start porting to linux a few minutes later. ;)

They've said they aren't making a linux version of steam. Very recently, too. So I don't think they'd change their mind and start porting to linux a few minutes later. ;)
They also said they weren't making a Mac version of Steam almost right up until it was officially announced back in April.

It would not be unheard of for a company to lie about what they were working on, especially if it's still in very early development and subject to change.

Yeah, expect the unexpected from Valve. Gabe was a PS3 hater, then he suddenly appeared in Sony's E3 talk to announce it's getting Steamworks and a superior Portal 2 release (with the 360 getting the "quick" port).

they said that they are not making it, but they didn't say that they will not make it in (near) future ;)

Had an idea:

It's possible they are still waiting for the year of the Linux desktop to finally arrive in 2041

With the multitude of Linux based mobile operating systems they could be going for that. Every 10yo game should run fine on the nextgen of phones with some polishing.

It seems this same job opening was on valve's website since 2007. (web.archive.org)

But it has been 'news' elsewhere on the net as well...

Too bad though. :mellow:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's possible they are still waiting for the year of the Linux desktop to finally arrive in 2041
Yeah, we're just waiting for the right year when suddenly everyone switches to Linux.

Like that year everyone decided to buy smartphones and market them like nobody's business.

And like that year personal computers began existing.

And that other year when everyone stopped using VHS and bought DVD players.

Who said the job was for full games? It's probably just working on porting dedicated servers (still technically game code) to Linux...

Back