is 180Mhz safe

horrain

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
i was testing out the different versions of Snes9xGP because iv been told it has save support and also has audio support, orignaly i was thinging if i used sound it would kill the FPS, but running my gp32 at 180Mhz for 30mins or so with no crashing i began to wounder if the 40Mhz over clock is safe.
iv not done any mods or anything technical, the settings for Snes9xGP are as follow

frameskip 3
brightness 2
sound on

all the games i tested worked fine (only tryed zelda and smash tv as there the only snes game i own) and they worked fine, smash tv was a little fast, and the audio was speeded up and the dude who intros the game sounded like he was on helium :)

anyways enought of my rantings is 180Mhz safe or should i drop down a notch or 2?

If it runs ok its fine, but it will use up your batteries quite fast.

It will crash long before it does any damage to itself.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

I was under the impression that anything past 166 mhz was (for pretty much all of us) impossible without some kind of voltage increase to the CPU.

When I first got my GP32 I played GP Engine at 166MHz and it was running fine with no crashes (until I realised I was playing R-Type way too much :p). Later I found out those "rumors" of the overclockin doing damage and ended up stopping that.. after Craigx's experiement, however, I went back to it with GP Engine and other programs that had overclocking at the time, but I could only get as far as 155MHz for 5 mins at the least without crashing (166 just left the GP32 hanging)

I guess from being tried on many people that the GP32 IS capable of very high overclocking speeds like 180MHz, but only when it's new.. the GP32's age becomes a ticking timebomb before overclocking performance begins to decrease over time.. sounds like a pretty appropriate theory, doesnt it? :)

I guess from being tried on many people that the GP32 IS capable of very high overclocking speeds like 180MHz, but only when it's new.. the GP32's age becomes a ticking timebomb before overclocking performance begins to decrease over time.. sounds like a pretty appropriate theory, doesnt it? :)

Hey, this is a major piece of news if it's true!

Has anyone else experienced this, and after how much time? :blink:

I tried running the 180mhz snes and genesis emulators on my gp and none of the games seem to boot at all. I have no doubts that the higher emus should run as other OC'd emus run fine (Gpengine, etc)- Im currently using the european FW and I think that may have a bit to do with it.

Are there any other europe FW users experiencing the same issue?

Yuzo

Back