Is Dvr Functionality Possible?

soreel

Still Fresh
Hello, I found out about the Pandora console through my research on PMP devices. I was REALLY close to buying an Archos, but then I heard about this great device. Now I'm in a pickle.

Do you think its possible that a Digital Video Recorder (DVR) like device could become compatible with the Pandora? Like where I can hook it to my tv, record whatever I like, and watch it on the Pandora; or save it on the Pandora only to Export it back on the TV for a later date?

soreel said:
Hello, I found out about the Pandora console through my research on PMP devices. I was REALLY close to buying an Archos device, but then I heard about this great device. Now I'm in a pickle.

Do you think its possible that a Digital Video Recorder (DVR) like device could become compatible with the Pandora? Like where I can hook it to my tv, record whatever I like, and watch it on the Pandora; or save it on the Pandora only to Export it back on the TV for a later date?
Pandora is going to be a wonderfull DVP (player). But as it don't have a video-input, you'll have to look for some kind of video-input as USB that actually work under linux.
then you'll need someone (you ???) willing to port some kind of apps (ex : http://www.mythtv.org/) to the pandora. And finally you'll have your PVR in a pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
sebt3 said:
then you'll need someone (you ???) willing to port some kind of apps (ex : http://www.mythtv.org/) to the pandora. And finally you'll have your PVR in a pandora.

I'm also quite keen on seeing Mythtv's frontend ported to the Pandora.

Porting the backend makes no sense; most recordings take 1GB/hour and a significant amount of CPU power to transcode that to a smaller file size. Best to keep the PVR on a server with large hard drives, available over the wireless network.

Trevor Bradley said:

Porting the backend makes no sense; most recordings take 1GB/hour and a significant amount of CPU power to transcode that to a smaller file size. Best to keep the PVR on a server with large hard drives, available over the wireless network.
Archos is doing a few PVR for quite sometime.
They are using linux for that. why not the pandora.
I'm not sure if I have a use for this, but there is some that want to have PVR feature in a handheld.

EDIT:typo (again...)

Trevor Bradley said:
sebt3 said:

I think hardware encoders can go straight to MPEG4. So, direct recordings wouldn't be too difficult.

sebt3 said:
But as it don't have a video-input, you'll have to look for some kind of video-input as USB that actually work under linux.
I have a device that runs off of USB and can function as a converter. You just need to plug the USB into a device like a pandora and have it encode the stream. But I'm not sure if that device will in Linux.

I mean, how does Archos do it? I think their devices have less CPU power compared to the Pandora and they are able to stream and encode video from TVs with ease.

soreel said:
I mean, how does Archos do it? I think their devices have less CPU power compared to the Pandora and they are able to stream and encode video from TVs with ease.
As the previous post said, it's likely to have a hardware MPEG4 encoder chip, so it doesn't need to use the CPU to encode at all. Such things do exist as USB devices, but we'd be reliant on open source drivers existing (just having Linux drivers often isn't enough if they're not open source)

soreel said:
sebt3 said:
But as it don't have a video-input, you'll have to look for some kind of video-input as USB that actually work under linux.
I have a device that runs off of USB and can function as a converter. You just need to plug the USB into a device like a pandora and have it encode the stream. But I'm not sure if that device will in Linux.

I didn't find your product in the USB catalog ID know for linux. So your last hope is that there is an other product using the same chipset that have drivers. I wasn't able to find what kind of chipset there in, so no chance to lookup for a driver.

you should plug this in a linux box (even a live CD) and give us the result of the command lsusb.

soreel said:
sebt3 said:

Well, just like how a graphics processor can be much more efficient at processing graphics than a normal x86 processor, Hardware makes a difference, They prolly have a video encoding/decoding chip like how DVD players can decode MPEG video and put it to a visual form, when the processor itself is only handling small things like disk tracking, and LCD displays

Back