Is It Safe To Overclock The Wiz.

renejr902

Website
Visit site
i will try to overclock some emus if the speed dont satisfied me !

Is it really dangerous to overclock the wiz. What can happen if i overclock a little too much. can i get a dead wiz simply by overclocking a little too much.

( i modded my two gp32 to 216mhz and 240mhz and dont have any problem with them. even the gp2x overclocked work well. but is it the same for the wiz. i dont want a dead wiz the first day. )

note: i bought my wiz today. i will receive it in 3 days

Using your Wiz over-clocked will lead to a shorter overall lifetime just as it will with any device. It will not, however, instantly destroy your Wiz if you go too high. It will just cause the unit to lock up at which point you will have to reset it.

Peter R said:
Painfully slow games?

I guess he wants to run high-end stuff, everyone does. :rolleyes:
Although it's remarkable how well GBA runs, even without overclock depending on the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Peter R said:
I have no idea but I still have two working GP32s that were regularly over-clocked during their time of prime use ;) .

I still have an old AMD Sempron Barton core 2800+ Thoroughbred overclocked to 3.3Ghz, and all I've ever used to cool it is air. Still going strong today, although I've stopped using it. I'm sure you'll probably get tired of the wiz before overclocking causes it to die before it's time. ;)

Edit: Has there ever been a side-by-side comparison of say, one overclocked CPU vs. one standard clocked CPU, running the same thing at the same time until one of them dies? >.> like calculating pi forever until the computer ceases to function.

I would be interested in this comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would expect over clocking to have no ill effect on the system and not reduce the life of the system at all. I doubt there's enough heat made at any speed on an ARM9 to raise the temperature to dangerous levels. There also doesn't appear to be a way to change the core voltage as the design looks to use fixed voltage supplies. When a processor crashes from overclocking, the bit patterns just get read wrong and it sends the code execution off into la-la land. Unless these pseudo random bit patterns can form a sequence to erase your NAND or SD card, it seems harmless to me. :)

Over clocking doesn't damage processors, over volting does. In the land of PCs where changing the cpu voltage is so easy, its understandable why people think the former.

Back