Is My Gp2x Intolerant To Overclocking?

blakespot

Still Fresh
I just got my GP2X and installed a few things on it and noticed some just give me a blank screen when they start, like OutcaST (the ST emulator). I installed the Mega Drive emulator and it works great, but then I went into its options and set the clockspeed up from default 200MHz to 220MHz. When I load a ROM the screen goes blank and the machine is frozen. Need to cycle power. It works at 210MHz tho.

I thought many apps default to 250MHz or so. Could my GP2X be intolerant to overclocking? Is that why the ST emulator freezes - is it running > 210MHz? UPDATE: Though the ST emulator gives me a black screen for any image I try to load and run, I CAN hit the START button and get to the menu that lets me choose options or exit the emulator. So it's not frozen, strictly speaking. Hm.

If this is my problem - what do I do? Thanks...

blakespot

Paradox posted on Jul 21 2006 at 10:32 AM said:
fresh batteries?
Quite. Recently-charged NiMH Energizers.

blakespot

Last edited by a moderator:
Note - the Vetkar and Payback demos run fine, as does the graphical Nethack game. If that helps here.

blakespot

Yes, never seen one which does not goto at least 240mhz, and i think payback might run at 238mhz (depending on what gamepark put on the nand)

Best bet it to test in something like the latest neogeo beta, as i think the latest dr.md has a bug where it can randomly hang.

craigix posted on Jul 21 2006 at 12:29 PM said:
Best bet it to test in something like the latest neogeo beta, as i think the latest dr.md has a bug where it can randomly hang.

Could you pint me to the latest? Still finding my way around app dwonload sites for the GP2X.

And why do you suggest this? Does the NeoGeo emu allow clockspeed setting? How high can you go in that app?

Tnx

blakespot

DBH posted on Jul 21 2006 at 01:04 PM said:
I cant even get past 265Mhz with mine :(

I ran this app:

http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,8,1000

And the CPU speed test (ant walking) got to "255MHz tested" when the doorbell rang and I had to step away. Will run further later.

But that should indicate that I can run the MegaDrive emulator at 220 right? Yet...it freezes above 210. ??

blakespot

I can overclock with the gngeo2x to 266 mhz, but can only overclock to 260 mhz with snesgp2x. If I go any higher with the snes emu it just crashes. I really haven't ran the DrMDx over its default settings.

I ran the same app and my machine froze just after it checked 265Mhz. I ran it with a divider of 1. Are there any other tricks to getting above 265Mhz? I assume that if you use a higher divider your just reducing the clock speed right?

Back