Is The Video Out Cable Svideo Only And Is It Worth It?

christo930 said:
Does the new video out cable only support svideo? Is it worth getting? I've heard there are alot of problems with it.

Chris
yes only s-video support but you can use an adapter to convert it into composite video or scart connection.

when i ordered my gp2x i was sent the old short tv-out (with a female s-video end!) and the phono audio connection on that did not work. so i bought the new longer s-video tv-out cable and that works fine.

if you have an old tv (like i do!) i suggest getting a scart adapter, it gives a better picture than using the composite input.

Last edited by a moderator:
peelie said:
if you have an old tv (like i do!) i suggest getting a scart adapter, it gives a better picture than using the composite input.
If your TV supports S-Video over Scart, there have been a lot of people complaining that their TV cable was bad when their TV doesn't support S-Video over SCART.

Basically some TV's can read S-Video by putting the other signal into the green (or something) on the Scart adaptor. Some Scart adaptors do this, but the TV must support it. Some have a capacitor to bridge the color signal back over, and some people just connect the two S-Video signal together to run it into the Composite.

Your TV must be one that supports the S-Video, just keep in mind that not all do before you go around recommending it to people. That sort of info should be in your user's manual. (You guys are lucky by the way, in the USA technology is so backwards that the only input we ever got was S-Video, not nearly as good as SCART, and don't even get me started on the 1080i digital broadcasts, it is 2007 for chrissake, and we still haven't killed analog broadcasts and we will have to revamp all the equipment to handle 1080p broadcasts. Not to mention that ATSC is a backwards piece of crap compared to what Europe gets.)

If I had it to do over again I would have waited for the cradle but I only wasted $10 so its ok. Its just not that useful without USB gamepads to complete the console experience.

nubie said:
(You guys are lucky by the way, in the USA technology is so backwards that the only input we ever got was S-Video, not nearly as good as SCART, and don't even get me started on the 1080i digital broadcasts, it is 2007 for chrissake, and we still haven't killed analog broadcasts and we will have to revamp all the equipment to handle 1080p broadcasts. Not to mention that ATSC is a backwards piece of crap compared to what Europe gets.)

It does mean that when EU consumers buy PS3s they still get composite cables (the worst video cables next to RF) in the box, as an example. We're made to suffer by proxy :rolleyes:

At least component is getting popular, though! \o/

ANYWAY

I like TV-out as a feature but in my experience the quality leaves a lot to be desired. When I've used it, it looked like 320x240 stretched over the entire TV area with no filter so blocky as hell. And lines are missing, I'm sure of it. Is this app-dependant or is it "this or nothing"?

It is app-dependant. For example the Movie Player tries the hardest to look good (it uses some tricks that we can't unless we sign an NDA to Magiceyes Digital, inc.) Also I think that Pcklee123's latest release of Basilisk 2 (a Mac 68k emulator) uses a higher resolution than most apps.

Blah said:
It is app-dependant. For example the Movie Player tries the hardest to look good (it uses some tricks that we can't unless we sign an NDA to Magiceyes Digital, inc.) Also I think that Pcklee123's latest release of Basilisk 2 (a Mac 68k emulator) uses a higher resolution than most apps.
No, the movie player is using the Binary provided by MagicEyes with the firmware to render/accelerate isn't it?

Basically the SDK doesn't yet offer a higher mode.

AFAIK all the consoles here come with Composite, but at least all your TV's have SCART, we would need to buy an HDTV to use Component, whereas with RGB it just works.

Basically if you want to be upset, the Conexant can make 1024x768 and VGA and Component and RGB etc, it is a real encoder chip. I am still pissed at GPH for not including the VGA. If sound and Video were dropped from the EXT (or just the USB 1.1 Slave) we could have had VGA or Component or RGB outputs on this, that would have made it really useful.

The Video and USB should have been on the top, the USB can be put next to the SD card, it has been on Hackaday. The Video should come out the 3.5mm phono jack just like the Ipod, they are even using a 4-conductor jack, but they screwed us by using one of the wires as "sense" which is why the headphones sense is so crappy btw. I suppose I should hack one up with USB and Video over the Headphones port and VGA output, once the programmers figure out how to set the damn Conexant chip to VGA or Component (GPH "engineers" don't seem to want to let us in on that).

Ugh, so much potential.

nubie said:
No, the movie player is using the Binary provided by MagicEyes with the firmware to render/accelerate isn't it?

That's one way to put it. Besides rendering at a higher resolution, it also uses smooth scaling.

Back