Is There A Card Reader Compatibility List?

redrain85

Still Fresh
If not, maybe there should be . . .

I have a card reader, but unfortunately I can't tell what brand it is. It works fine for my family's digital cameras, but every time I use it to put files on an SD card and plug it into the GP2X: the filenames are garbled. (Yes, even after I use the "Eject" feature in XP SP2.)

If I knew which card reader would work for the GP2X, I'd buy another one. But right now it seems that no one knows for sure what the problem is, so it looks like buying another card reader is a hit-and-miss affair.

If I write to the card when it's in the GP2X, I'm stuck at USB 1.1 speed which is dreadfully slow. I've tried USBMON and other things, but my PC simply won't recgonize the GP2X using USB 2.0. (Even using the latest 2.0 firmware.)

Don't take offense, but have you formatted the card as FAT32?

Yes, I formatted it as FAT32. I forgot to mention that. In the card reader, not the GP2X.

iignotus posted on May 11 2006 at 10:52 PM said:
How are the filenames garbled?
I'm having exactly the same problem as mentioned in this old thread . . .

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=22648&hl=

Formatted the card as FAT32 in the card reader. Copied files over. Right clicked on the icon representing the card in XP, and clicked Eject. Removed the card, put it in the GP2X, tried browsing the files on the card . . . all the filenames are garbled and the files corrupt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing, have you tried "Safely Remove Hardware" instead of "eject"?

I don't use Win XP that much (I have it on my laptop), we use Win 2K Pro mostly, and I always right click the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in my systray ... never had a problem doing it this way.

TelcoLou posted on May 11 2006 at 11:21 PM said:
Another thing, have you tried "Safely Remove Hardware" instead of "eject"?
Tried that just now. Didn't make a difference. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought I'd do a follow-up . . .

I solved my problem by buying a new card reader. Now I can download at USB 2.0 speeds, and the files don't become corrupt when I view them in the GP2X.

Unfortunately, there are no real "brand names" to card readers. They're pretty much all a dime a dozen. But what I can tell you, is that the new card reader uses an Alcor AU6368 chipset. So as long as the card reader you buy features this chipset, you should be golden.

Back