Issues using iPhone Personal Hotspot with Pandora

wildpianist

Still Fresh
Hi,

I've tried searching the forums for an answer to this bugging issue I seem to have, but can't find a solution so apologies for posting if it is somewhere else.

I try and connect the pandora to my iPhones hotspot. The pandora tells me it's connected and so does the iphone. I try and access a website and it just flakes out and then tells me it can't find the page. I also attempted a ping in terminal and a traceroute also to no avail. I don't normally have a problem connecting to the iphone from other devices, not sure why it seems to only be the pandora. I have tried my home wifi connection with the pandora and it works fine.

Is this a known issue? Or do I seem to have some setting not set up correctly. Tried connecting via Bluetooth and got told the pandora wasn't supported and iphone forced me to forget the device!! Can I connect using the USB cable?

Seems a right pain in the rear at the moment so any help would be appreciated :)

I'm not familiar with apple products, but if you try USB, ensure to enable the USB port first by going into the settings tray and click Enable USB-Host..

The full sized USB port is disabled by default to save power.

If you left click the network tray item (Looks like two monitors next to the settings tray) do you see an network device that needs to be enabled.. I believe by default it won't enable it automatically. If so just clicking on it will enable it.

Yep I can connect to the iPhone's wifi hotspot and try a site in Firefox and even get as far as "connecting to google.com" then nothing.

How do I know the pandora is actually able to communicate with the outside world?

Is there a terminal command I can run to tell me the IP address/router address it's using so I know it's actually connected and getting an Internet connection?

Only seems to be an issue with the phone as my home router works fine.

The terminal command 

#shows you what network connections and such..
ifconfig

#can check if you have an outside connection, by pinging some outside connection.. or web browser just works.
ping google.com

You can also get the connection information by right clicking the connection in the network tray and clicking "connection information"

I'm not sure if your phone service contract is like mine, but mine requires additional fees to share the internet.. or for me a third-party Android software that bypassing all that.

I used my Nokia E90 as a hotspot as well and still do.

My Laptop can use it without issues, my Pandora has connection problems.

I suppose it's an older version on Networkmanager on the Pandora which causes the problems.

For me it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't

But if it works I have to connect twice.

The first time connection fails and the second time it works.

Don't know why but Pandora seems to have problems with Phone hotspots.

I was using it over USB with my Android phone. The steps for that would be: enable USB host on Pandora; connect USB cable; enable USB tethering on Android; connect to wired network on Pandora. It's probably similar on iPhone, if yours can do it.

Back