Jaguarrrr

paulguy said:
Would be neat to see it working, but wasn't there a PS1 version of tempest 2000?
Yeah thats mainly all we need anyway, the Jag just alot of ports (nearly 20) in its 50 or so games;

Amiga ports;
Brutal Sports Football
Cannon Fodder
Pinball Fantasies
Evolution Dino Dudes (Humans)
Flashback
Int Sensible Soccer
Soccer Kid
Syndicate
Theme Park
Worms
Zool 2

PC ports;
Doom
Wolfenstein 3D

MD Ports;
Bubsy
Double Dragon 5
Dragon : Bruce Lee Story
NBA Jam TE
Pitfall
Powerdrive Rally

The rest are made up of early showcase 3D games that didnt really cut the mustard, A v P being one half decent game and Iron Soldier but little else that cant be found either on MAME or PS1 (Arcade classics and Rayman)

It was another great example of Atari cocking up another console designed for them (Lynx was another)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, PSX version is bit different than original jaguar version as described here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempest_2000#Ports

What about porting Typhoon 2001? Quite good remake.

@jaycee900 - Actually, the Jaguar's Bubsy game isn't a port, it's an exclusive title. Its full name is "Bubsy in Fractured Furry Tales", and it takes the mickey out of fairy tales. :p Also, the Jaguar's version of Rayman 1: was the original version, and 2: to my knowledge has at least one level that the PlayStation and Saturn ports don't have.

(No, I didn't own a Jaguar, but I do know my platforming. :p )

Prometheus said:
@jaycee900 - Actually, the Jaguar's Bubsy game isn't a port, it's an exclusive title. Its full name is "Bubsy in Fractured Furry Tales", and it takes the mickey out of fairy tales. :p Also, the Jaguar's version of Rayman 1: was the original version, and 2: to my knowledge has at least one level that the PlayStation and Saturn ports don't have.

(No, I didn't own a Jaguar, but I do know my platforming. :p )
Yeah I know Rayman was on Jag first which is why I didn't put that down as a port, I stand corrected on Bubsy, though in all fairness it's crap whichever format it was on! ;)

That, I absolutely agree on. And woe betide you if you've ever seen the horrible, horrible pilot for the horrible cartoon series (due to be tied in with Bubsy II and the Jaguar title) that thankfully never came to be! I've rarely seen such insipid twaddle in all my life. :lol: (EDIT: Even the theme "tune" is terrible, and now it's stuck in my head. :( It basically consists of some shrill individual screaming "BUB-ZAAYYYY!!" over some awful "music".)

Prometheus said:
That, I absolutely agree on. And woe betide you if you've ever seen the horrible, horrible pilot for the horrible cartoon series that thankfully never came to be! I've rarely seen such insipid twaddle in all my life. :lol: (EDIT: Even the theme "tune" is terrible, and now it's stuck in my head. :( It basically consists of some shrill individual screaming "BUB-ZAAYYYY!!" over some awful "music".)
I feel pretty grateful I haven't had the misfortune of ever seeing that! Though I can only imagine the horrendous screechy American accent it being played out with and some cheap budget animation made in china!

For want of not going further off-topic, I must say that the animation quality was not horrendous (DiC was the company responsible, if memory serves, and their pilots and pitches did tend to be of a decent standard). :p That was the lone high point.

Don't forget this one:

jaguar.jpg

I love the Jaguar, I had one back in 1995 when they went on discount for $69 & picked up Tempest 2K & played for hours.

I currently have a jag with my other vintage machines, still play tempest & have the good stuff like Battleshpere... ect... its a clunky machine that for some reason is just fun to play, it brings you back to when 3D polygon games just came out & you were just amazed back in the early 90's. I love it.

I know the jag hardware was a mishmash of processors (5 in total) with a buggy system controller setup... making it very hard to emulate & hence there are not too many good ones out there? If someone were hard core enough, this would be a great emulator.

I 2nd on the Typhoon 2000 game.. its a good port & would be nice if it could be brought over to the Pandora. The tempest 2k & its clones are just made for hand held gaming!!!!

i had 2 jags in my time and enjoyed tempest,doom and avp,i recon the psx tempest is better than the jag original in terms of graphics and sound/music also has more game modes,ultimate doom is on the psx and very smooth as well as the pc original,the only thing i want jag emu for is the amazing avp,the jag avp was its own game nothing like on other consoles and scares the shit out ya at 2am 1996 hehe memories,casumi ninja was good just for angus fireballs from his kilt,auk aye.

Back