Pandora JAVA development on Pandora

hitbyambulance

Website
troubletype.org
i'm starting to learn Java. i could go with the text editor and javac, but - is the JDK available on Pandora? if so, are there any IDEs? ...will NetBeans run?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes there is Java available, either OpenJDK(sluggish) or Oracle's JDK for ARM Linux.. The Oracle version of Java was recently released and is much improved over the regular OpenJDK. I'm downloading netbeans now.. not sure how well it will work.

Yes there is Java available, either OpenJDK(sluggish) or Oracle's JDK for ARM Linux.. The Oracle version of Java was recently released and is much improved over the regular OpenJDK. I'm downloading netbeans now.. not sure how well it will work.

Thanks for checking if netbeans runs! I am interested to know.

Unfortunately, even if the oracle arm java is named JDK, it contains only the JRE, and i doubt javac is included.

I successfully installed openJDK under Slackware, converting the Debian package into a .tgz, and installing it.

It will be shipped in the next SL4P -rc release, but i can upload it if you're in a hurry.

Netbean 7.2 does work with the Oracle JDK for sure. It's sluggish but usable, most windows fit in the screen well..

@Linux-Swat, Javac is included with oracle JDK along with the other CLI tools. or at least what I downloaded off the oracle site did..

Edit: enabling a 512MB swap file helps the sluggishness problem a bit.

Quick and dirty picture:

2012-10-04_23-16-55_16.jpg

Edit 2: I compiled some of my old Java class work.. seems to work fine, however having more than one project open at once can slow things down a bit.

great, good to hear!

I successfully installed openJDK under Slackware, converting the Debian package into a .tgz, and installing it.

It will be shipped in the next SL4P -rc release, but i can upload it if you're in a hurry.

no hurry... (i am a classic preorderer without Pandora yet)

i can only imagine the usability disaster that Eclipse would be...

i can only imagine the usability disaster that Eclipse would be...

No doubt, Eclipse is a disaster even on my 8-core i7 with 8gigs of RAM... Not to mention its interface is a horrid IMO.

Back