Java emulator

Muttlly

Still Fresh
Is a mobile phone java emulator(such as sjboy/ Kemulator) possible?

There are some good games available for mobile phones,and being able to use the pandora's dpad would be better than trying to use the phone keypad!

Kemulator and sjboy are both Windows only and I can find no source so no chance of porting. I can't even find an official website of any kind for either of them. The only way to download them seems to be through mediafire or other third party bulk download sites.

There's a third one, MPowerPlayer, which appears to be pure java, so in theory it should work, but I can't get it to work in OpenJDK. It seems to work fine in the official Sun Java, but the official Sun Java can't run on the Pandora, only the open source release. I don't think MPowerPlayer is very good, anyway: it looks more like it is trying to sell its own games than let you play what you have.

If you can find another option, we may be able to get it to work, but the top three programs I found will not, unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a shame. I can't find any others either,and there were some pretty good java games I had on my old phones.

The emulators weren't without their problems as far as I can remember,but cool nonetheless!

Ok,did a bit more digging and found this: http://www.microemu.org/

It seems to run about as well as the others,although I don't have many games left to try.

It also seems to have the source code and an lgpl licence.

Before I make a fool of myself,I'd just like to point out I unfortunately know nothing about coding,and if I've missed something obvious,I apologise!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, that one is much more like it. It starts and runs, I've got an image of a phone and stuff. Looks like it is working. Do you have something you'd like me to try?

I've got some of the games I have running. Some work ok,some crash and some won't load at all.

Also,it seems a bit slow.

I can send you a few games if you want to try them yourself though(if that's allowed,don't want to break any rules.)

Do you think it has any potential for a pandora port?

Do you think it has any potential for a pandora port?
I already had it running on my Pandora :D

Only things I tried was the demo program that came with it though so I can't vouch for any sort of speed or anything. If you've got any completely free, non-commercial games you want me to try I can let you know how it works.

Back