Java Runtime 1.0 Beta 2

@PSyMastR:
nope, niet, niente, nada, kaine docs...
the sdljava project on sourceforge is the only one piece commented and its javadoc are included in the devkit pack, along with all Java source code, that you can use as a starting point for your project
I'm sure that with so many examples, you will find the whole thing really easy to work with :D

Edit: I mean java documentation, for normal SDL there is LOT of docs as Pickle said.

@Pickle:
yes, AWT and SWING are still unsupported because of their architecture.
AWT and SWING are event based, they rely on the presence of a windowing system that draws the UI and fires "events" like the mouse click, the application just waits for events to come in.
Instead, SDL is the exact opposite, the application draws the screen, move the mouse and manages all UI components.

Porting an application from AWT to SDL is not so simple, because of the different approach they uses, you must rewrite the whole UI that in some cases is the 90% af the application.

IMHO the best is to write a brand new backend for the standard AWT/SWING that drops X11 and "draws the screen"...
by the way, this is the same work to be able to run midlets, write a new backend for the standard MIDP API.

Unfortunately I'm only one, I would be pleased to have time to make AWT and MIDP work, but its a LOT of work, so don't expect this for tomorrow :(

I don't know how much use this will be to you guys, but if you haven't seen the news yet:

From http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2006/11/13/s...ensources_java/

Sun is making available its Java HotSpot Java Virtual Machine (JVM) implementation - a core piece of the Java Runtime - javac programming language compiler to run Java software, and the JavaHelp software under the OpenJDK project on Java.net

Also released is Java ME for Connected Device Limited Configuration (CLDC) with source code for the Java ME compatibility testing. Sun plans to release more code for advanced operating system phone implementation and the Java Device Test Suite framework.

All code is being released under GPL 2.0 - while also being maintained under Sun's simplified Common Development and Distribution License (CDDL).

Thanks Critical !

I gave a look at the sources, but they lack a specific ARM support, this is the only thing that will make a real difference... for example a JIT :D

For now I will stick to jamvm+gnu classpath... they works, this is ok for now :D

Bruno posted on Dec 18 2006 at 06:08 PM said:
Is there a devkit for Linux?

Yes, it exists but is still not published as a "formal" release.

For which distro do you need it ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Umm, Im learning Java with the program BlueJ in school, i dont think thats supported right?

I got to use BlueJ in school too. Didn't like it very much though, then again I'm not a big fan of Java.

BlueJ is just an IDE and javavm will run any java thrown at it provided it observes limitations mentioned earlier in this thread. So yeah, it'll work just fine :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back