Java Gp2x Runtime (jre)

ryosaeba

Certified Guru
Website
mtorromeo.github.com
Fungostar released his Java Runtime Environment for the gp2x.

There was already a beta posted in the archive but it wasn't meant to be released and it was not expected to work.

The package includes the following software:
- jamvm 1.4.3 (http://jamvm.sourceforge.net/)
- GNU classpath 0.9.1 (http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/)
- sdljava 0.91 (http://sdljava.sourceforge.net/)

This is the runtime of a Java-compatible Virtual Machine, completed with a full port of the GNU Classpath library and the Java-SDL Layer SDLJava.

An important note:
Java applications that will run on this VM must be built with GP2X in mind, so don't expect to be able to use any MIDlet (J2ME) or some exotic Java app.
This is true for this package, future releases of this Java VM will probably allow you to run phone J2ME games.

There are a couple of demo programs included so you can test this.
Read the included README for full instructions.

You can download this from the archive, here.

Ryo posted on Oct 6 2006 at 06:43 PM said:
An important note:
Java applications that will run on this VM must be built with GP2X in mind, so don't expect to be able any MIDlet (J2ME) or some exotic Java app.
This is true for this package, future releases of this Java VM will probably allow you to run phone J2ME games.

BASICALLY HE'S SAYING ITS LIKE PORTING PEOPLE. So stop asking for recompiles to the GP2X, it wouldn't be that easy (plus it probably would be slow anyway....)

Last edited by a moderator:
about this next version that could run j2me cell phone games... how plausible is that and when is it expected too come out

Wouldn't java apps be slow as hell on the GP2X?

Ah, I see that java apps must be written for the GP2X for it to run... Kind of pointless then, except to say the GP2X runs java.

Anhaedra posted on Oct 7 2006 at 08:35 AM said:
There's no reason to suppose that java stuff would be slow on the GP2X. There are JVMs running in quite a few embedded systems that are certainly fast (Tao's Jeode, for one).

Java != slow

This is great news, with the potential to be even greater if the runtime can be sorted out to run j2me stuff.

Jackd posted on Oct 7 2006 at 04:12 AM said:
about this next version that could run j2me cell phone games... how plausible is that and when is it expected too come out
It more plausible than a psx/gba emulator without a doubt. The porting of j2me it's not even started afaik, so no ETA.

Anhaedra posted on Oct 7 2006 at 09:35 AM said:

Ah, I see that java apps must be written for the GP2X for it to run... Kind of pointless then, except to say the GP2X runs java.
Well, it's one more language. Many developers have java as their language of choice.
This jre doesn't include awt/swing so this is why you shouldn't expect for every java app out there to run on the gp2x, but nothing stops you from trying a port. Games using SDLJava should be doable.

This would actually be very useful for me, as I am learning Java in my computer science class. Once (and if) I get another GP2X, I could try porting some of my class projects over.

I've just graduated from Uni and have a good working knowledge of it! Its a big plus for people who do have it as their first language and want to develop for the Gp2x!

Great, I hope porting J2ME goes well!

I'm studying Java as well, and while I don't think much of it compared to C (as far as games making goes), it'll be fun to do some Java on the 2X at some point. Thanks for this!

- Alex

Hi all,

I am the developer behind this release, just to clarify the roadmap of this project, the next versions will add :

Beta2:
- GP2X hardware control (battery power, red led, over/underclock)
- Bitmapped fonts
- various fixes

Beta 3:
- J2ME MIDP1 emulation layer

The J2ME midp1 emulation layer is already started, even this release contains some parts of it, for example the Font object used for rendering fonts is 100% compatible with the Font object of J2ME graphics.

On the Italian Forum File Repository is already available a Windows DevKit for Java with all Java sources, enclosing the Launcher, Ducks and Hello World.

Hope you all appreciate this :D

Thanks,
Fungostar.

Heh, awsomeness. guess its still too early to do anything awsome on yet, but in the future releases things look like they should get better :p thanks alot man, I appreciate it.

just want to mention, that a j2se implementation of the j2me stuff is already being done by others, with alot of work already spent on midp1 and midp2.

perhaps it would be worth looking into that.

Ryo posted on Oct 7 2006 at 12:15 PM said:
This jre doesn't include awt/swing so this is why you shouldn't expect for every java app out there to run on the gp2x, but nothing stops you from trying a port. Games using SDLJava should be doable.
Damn, too bad there is no AWT Support yet, any word if that might be done?

Nagelfar posted on Oct 9 2006 at 04:40 PM said:
Ryo posted on Oct 7 2006 at 12:15 PM said:
Damn, too bad there is no AWT Support yet, any word if that might be done?

Yes, it can be done, depends only on how much effort one spends on this.

The infrastructure at the foundation of Swing/AWT is already present, the missing part is wrapping AWT over SDL. This is not so simple because SWING and AWT are made to be run over a windowing system such as X11 or Windows.

Back