Jedi Outcast now open source!!

Well, there was some project that worked on recreating Dark Forces on the Jedi Academy engine - it should be less demanding than Jedi Academy. They got the first 6 levels done, but then it was officially ended...

I found this petition to release the source code for Jedi Knight. The petition was started by one of the developers for Jedi Knight II. Maybe we could all sign the petition.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/jkcoderelease/

Well, there was some project that worked on recreating Dark Forces on the Jedi Academy engine - it should be less demanding than Jedi Academy. They got the first 6 levels done, but then it was officially ended...
There's also the XL engine, which is supposed to eventually support Dark Forces: http://www.xlengine.com/

Jedi outcast is running on the quake 3 engine correct?  Does anyone know how much the engine has been modified from the original.  I only ask becuase I've seen Quake 3 running on the raspberry pi and I'm curious if any of the work that was done to port that might be useful to Jedi Outcast/Academy.

I know absolutley nothing about porting games to new systems so feel free to ingore these questions if they are just plain dumb.

I'll probably give that a try at sometime. But there is no GLES in this sources, so it will have to be pluged (if there is some GLES/GLES2 of the Quake3 engine somewhere) or created (must be something big, probably too big for me). There are olse some assembly I think, but I haven't looked yet, so I don't know if it's optionnal (I don't think so), or easly convertible.

I used to play Jedi Knight 2 with a Voodoo 3, this just has to run properly on the Pandora :p

Don't know. I haven't looked at it at all. And I don't know the Quake3 engine. If it require shader, than we will need a GLES2 port, as the linuxboch libGL implementation is GLES1 based.

But I'll probably try some vanilla build first, using MesaGL, as a proof of concept, and than we may discuss. But I have many other thing first, so I won't work on that this week or week end, no before mid next week best case, so if other want to try first, don't hesistate.

I played this game on a Voodoo 3 - it'll probably work fine without any shader support. It's from 2002 after all, the video cards at that time only supported up to OpenGL 1.4.

In case anyone is interested, this seems to be the repo where everything is happening with Jedi Outcast/Jedi Academy. It looks like they are trying to fix bugs in Jedi Academy and make the source multi-platform. They will make work on getting Jedi Outcast to run in the Jedi Academy engine.

https://github.com/Razish/OpenJK

Don't know. I haven't looked at it at all. And I don't know the Quake3 engine. If it require shader, than we will need a GLES2 port, as the linuxboch libGL implementation is GLES1 based.

But I'll probably try some vanilla build first, using MesaGL, as a proof of concept, and than we may discuss. But I have many other thing first, so I won't work on that this week or week end, no before mid next week best case, so if other want to try first, don't hesistate.
It uses shaders, so like you said either rewrite to use all GL2 shaders, or make a GL1 render without the shader effects. So to me it appears like a q3 engine with shaders on top for effects.

Back