WINE supports ARM

I know I'm bumping an old, thread but I thought it would be better than creating a new thread and linking this one. But I'm interested in buying a pandora and I'm wondering if anyone has tested WINE on pandora since it can work now. I can't find anything outside of this thread.

Nope, no progress in this area. Definitely don't buy if that's the sole reason you're interested. :)

I'm curious about the kind of software you want to run though? Perhaps there are alternatives that can be run on the Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
and I'm wondering if anyone has tested WINE on pandora since it can work now.
Wine =/= Winelib.

This news actually only means: Those programs that already run natively on Linux by compiling against the Winelib (instead of a full Linux port) could be compiled for ARM. However, the Wine Wiki only lists a few and those are mostly already available without - those few not listed there are probably closed source anyway.

It will still take a lot of work and dark emulation magic to get a somewhat functional Wine port.

@Gruso

Ok, I was just wondering whether I could use Starcraft on the Pandora. It's not the only reason I considering getting one, I'd like to use it for emulation.

@Letalis Sonus

Oh, ok, thanks for clearing that up. :)

I think this is rather useful. It could enable to port Windows-only open-source games and emulators, I suppose they could be recompiled for ARM against winelib. I would like to try this with Windows BeebEm, and maybe with some commercial or closed-source games too if the authors can be persuaded to help!

I'm a long-time user of Miranda-IM, which is open-source but riddled with WinAPI calls. I wonder what is the best way to get it working on OpenPandora. Maybe someone here is able to answer a few questions before I spend too much time digging the subject myself:

1. Is it possible to compile an open-source win32 app with winelib and run it on ARM?

2. Apps compiled with winelib don't need any dlls from windows, right?

3. What is the use of WINE on arm for closed-source win32 apps if you need qemu anyway? I could just install WinXP on the virtual machine and run the app from there.

4. How hard is it to set up WINE / qemu apps to use network?

Yes. You should grab codeblocks (sorry for the big download) and conver the Makefile / VCProject using "winemaker". It will generate a linux Makefile that should be almost plug'n play.

Once compiled, the packaging is a bit anoying to do (because you have to embed all fake .dll / real .so of wine basicaly), but doable. You may look at "XM Solitaire" PND.

Thanks for the advice, although I'm completely new to WINE so I think I'll pass for now. I'm not so crazy about IM anymore as I was in my youth, and there are so many hot topics with openpandora...

Back