DOOM3

No, nothing to do with XBox, it is a fan made patch combined with extreme reductions in settings that actually allowed you to play it with a really old Voodoo 2 card. Reading that thread (and search the internet, find other threads) you'd find people who used that patch to get it to run on slower and slower systems. The limit of "reasonable" seems to be a P2@400Mhz with 256MB of RAM.

Edit: Oh, "he", as in Exophase. Right, that makes sense. Sorry.

That patch looks simply awful and I'm remiss to consider that even the same game, let alone "reasonable." Note that the less than amazing framerates in the screenshots are achieved with a 2GHz AthlonXP. Although someone in that thread said they got it to run on a P2 400MHz (in Linux) there was no mention of how it actually performed. I did find this figure though:

"Doom 3 on my 400 MHz G4 Low, 640x480 - 2 FPS"

Here it runs alright-ish:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/TPrmq20STAs?feature=oembed

But still pretty choppy. That's on a P3 866MHz.

Given that apparently both the minimum PC spec and the spec for the XBox seem to have already been circumnavigated then perhaps it is possible after all.

I'd like to agree with what Exophase said about the patch though. For me the single most important graphical aspect of the game was the shadows and the lighting. If these have to be sacrificed completely I'm not sure its worth playing. On the flip side though, I'd say that pretty much everything else could be cut to the bone if needs be without harming the game much, including using a really ^low res (if possible)^.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep in mind that the key purpose of the patch was to get it to run on an old Voodoo card which didn't have fancy lighting and shadows. I should hope that the Pandora's GPU can be considered vastly superior to that old Voodoo.

Given that apparently both the minimum PC spec and the spec for the XBox seem to have already been circumnavigated then perhaps it is possible after all.

I'd like to agree with what Exophase said about the patch though. For me the single most important graphical aspect of the game was the shadows and the lighting. If these have to be sacrificed completely I'm not sure its worth playing. On the flip side though, I'd say that pretty much everything else could be cut to the bone if needs be without harming the game much, including using a really ^low res (if possible)^.

It's not worth playing with them either, it was rubbish!

Looked good though.

I'm not saying that I don't want to see this running on the oPa.

Dropping the lighting/shadows basically ruins this game. Proof of concept yes, Doom 3 feeling not at all.

BTW if Exo included a video up there, it doesn't seem to load. Is that just me?

It's not worth playing with them either, it was rubbish!

Looked good though.

what you on about? DOOM3 was not rubbish, lots of make you jump moments in it. especially if played at night with lights out with headphones turned up :p

^- All Doom 3 does is let freaks jump you from out of the dark. That's like, wow. So much imagination went into it. Advancing in the game you can learn to tell when it's time to be jumped.

Well I'm looking forward to the user created projects that will start when the Doom3 source is released, even if most people think the game is rubbish..

^- All Doom 3 does is let freaks jump you from out of the dark. That's like, wow. So much imagination went into it. Advancing in the game you can learn to tell when it's time to be jumped.

it was/is still a good game.

DOOM 3 PC Minimum System Requirements

P4 1.5Ghz CPU (or equivalent).

384MB of RAM.

64MB graphics card (see below for chip details).

2GB of free hard drive space.

Lowest supported GPU is a Geforce 4 MX

Welp, the main problem seems to be CPU speed, as I've heard the Pandora can only overclock to about 1GHZ (without voiding warranty.)
Did you say 1GHZ,mine can overclock to 1.3GHz.

I have ran doom 3 in low spec mini pc and it ran ok speed graphics were fine,just need to set it low settings inc. low resolution,mono sound, meaning settings everything to low,it will run easily,here are the specs i ran in it:

Cpu: 1.6ghz

Video: gma 500

opengl 3.0

512mb video graphics

system ram: 1gb

You will need these kind of specs to run doom3,lower than this i doubt it will run.

I've ran many games on this system,most of them ran fine,if not decent speed.

Most time directx 9 and 10 and opengl 2.0,3.0 drivers helped to run most of games.

That's a different story with pandora,these drivers can't be used.

The specs i've mentioned for the pc,it ran really slow,how you expect pandora run this game,when it's not basic pc specs.

I think games about 1ghz or less can run good on pandora over that,i will give it a miss,don't hold your breath for it.

Did you say 1GHZ,mine can overclock to 1.3GHz.
A 1.3GHz Cortex A8 is not comparable with a 1GHZ P4.

I've ran many games on this system,most of them ran fine,if not decent speed.
Most time directx 9 and 10 and opengl 2.0,3.0 drivers helped to run most of games.

If these type of drivers can be used pandora,that will increase peformance of the system.
Pandora has no directx support but rather OpenGL ES 2.0 (a subset of OpenGL) which means that even OpenGL software needs to be modified.

Isn't one of the major problems the fact that we still have no (proper) drivers for Pandora HW acceleration?

Isn't one of the major problems the fact that we still have no (proper) drivers for Pandora HW acceleration?
Sure they have some bugs. But please find me a 3d drivers without a single bugs. I dont think we'll have a realy better one as this one is good enough

Video: gma 500

opengl 3.0
The GMA 500 is just a SGX 535 with an additional video coprocessor, despite everything you may have read, full support of OpenGL 3.0/DirectX 10 is impossible, it only supports DirectX 9.0c and OpenGL 2.1. Doom 3 does not want more anyway.

No. What makes you think that? We've had hardware accelerated video since day negative two hundred or so.

No. What makes you think that? We've had hardware accelerated video since day negative two hundred or so.
I read that quite frequently. Couldn't provide a quote atm as I cba to search. Went along the lines "TI keeps something from us concerning acceleration, we keep asking but get nothing". Sorry for my half-assed knowledge on this matter.

We don't have full access to the DSP yet which would give us access to better video decoders such as h264, but that is because our kernel is out of date, and has little to do with the ability to run Doom 3 (although I suspect Exophase would say something about how the DSP could be used for something or other to offload some work from the CPU :) )

So SGX is all there but DSP lacks due to outdated kernel, hmkay.

I expect a lot from the DSP (the thing marketed as NEON, right?), if that's the same as an FPU, which, IIRC, made Quake 1 run like hell on the Nokia N95 Handset.

Thanks for clearing things up.

Back