Doom 3 /enemy Territory Source Code Update

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
  • Carmack stated that the source code for Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory is almost ready to be released and just needs approval from ZeniMax. The release of the Doom III source code will most likely happen sometime after the release of Rage, again pending ZeniMax approval.
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory is based off quake 3 engine
Doom 3 is id tech 4
Rage is id tech 5, which sounds like wont be out until sometime next year

Pickle said:
  • Carmack stated that the source code for Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory is almost ready to be released and just needs approval from ZeniMax. The release of the Doom III source code will most likely happen sometime after the release of Rage, again pending ZeniMax approval.
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory is based off quake 3 engine
Doom 3 is id tech 4
Rage is id tech 5, which sounds like wont be out until sometime next year
doom 3 engine games on pandora? the graphics seem to powerful to me :(

Last edited by a moderator:
borgqueenx said:
doom 3 engine games on pandora? the graphics seem to powerful to me :(
Maybe for you, but not for the pandora! B)

amf66 said:
If the Pandora can play Doom 3 games at reasonable frame rates this will be awesome!

My guess is that it would run but some the eye candy would need to be off like quake3 does.

It would be amazing to play wolfenstein ET on the pandora, I still play all the time :) Hopefully this will make a RTCW port possible too :)

greendots said:
It would be amazing to play wolfenstein ET on the pandora, I still play all the time :) Hopefully this will make a RTCW port possible too :)

God that would be totally awesome!

I think doom3 will be the edge of the Pandora power, it will run but not very well. But then we always need things like this to port over to the next gen system in a couple of years or so.

I actually quite like that about people getting software with higher requirements running.

Quake and Doom are fun and all but I'm a UT person. I'd love to see an Unreal Tournament game available.

UT up to 2004 executables are available for Linux (as source) but does the engine itself also need to be open sourced to be ported? (I just think of the Amiga games where all I had to do was replace the executable for Doom and the PC version worked on my Amiga).

UT is something which feels far more replayable due to the nature of the game, Doom had a tendency to bore (even the Story in Doom 3 did, Quake 4 was much better though).

Enverex said:
Quake and Doom are fun and all but I'm a UT person. I'd love to see an Unreal Tournament game available.

UT up to 2004 executables are available for Linux (as source) but does the engine itself also need to be open sourced to be ported? (I just think of the Amiga games where all I had to do was replace the executable for Doom and the PC version worked on my Amiga).

UT is something which feels far more replayable due to the nature of the game, Doom had a tendency to bore (even the Story in Doom 3 did, Quake 4 was much better though).

Yeah, we're going to need some source, I'm afraid.

Yea, no UT unless nullDC is capable.

Another thing worth noting is that with Enemy territory opensourced, we may see True Combat Elite on the pandora. True combat elite is the closest thing we will see to counterstrike on the pandora. (I'm excluding the DC version because its doubtful that nullDC will have enough and steady fps to play such fast paced games)

I'm also an old UT Veteran, I played this entire Series much more often than Doom/Quake.
I think the original UT from 1999 wouldn't be a problem for the Pandora to handle...IF it would be a straight and higly optimized port. UT is very fun to play even in Single Player because it has very good Bots, much better than Quake/Doom etc...
And more Game-modes by the way.

AFAIK UT is some degree "Open Source" but sadly not enough open do make a complete port possible. :(

I'm not claiming to be an authority, more thinking out loud really. But I thought the Pandora was about as powerful as an Xbox? And Doom 3 was ported to that. So surely Doom 3 would run on the Pandora, no?

kaprikawn said:
I'm not claiming to be an authority, more thinking out loud really. But I thought the Pandora was about as powerful as an Xbox? And Doom 3 was ported to that. So surely Doom 3 would run on the Pandora, no?

How well did it run?

It's possible, but it'll need some optimization work to run well. Not just a quick and dirty port.

I was for some reason thinking tat saurbraten was sort of a UT clone... but looking at the UT wikipedia page they don't really sound similar

I do enjoy playing saurbraten on my lan when friends are over for what that is worth.. and there was an opengl es 2 port by intel iirc doubt it was open source

sorry for the OT bit

I was kind of hoping quake 3 would be open sourced this year...I guess everybody is having delays

cb88 said:
I was for some reason thinking tat saurbraten was sort of a UT clone... but looking at the UT wikipedia page they don't really sound similar

I do enjoy playing saurbraten on my lan when friends are over for what that is worth.. and there was an opengl es 2 port by intel iirc doubt it was open source
It was actually Cube, Sauerbraten's predecessor. And the source is available: http://sourceforge.n...cts/cube/files/ - look under 2004_05_22, it's the PocketPC one. It would be nice if someone could backport the latest version, of course.
edit: also, I think it was ES 1.1, but that should be available on the Pandora as well.

Kramy said:
kaprikawn said:

How well did it run?

It's possible, but it'll need some optimization work to run well. Not just a quick and dirty port.

It ran pretty good, actually, but it wasn't a straight port. It was scaled back, there were some slight changes made, not as many as you would expect but still a few. Lower resolution, etc. But it ran good on the XBox hardware. It's just a shame it wasn't a better game.

Back