Doom 3 /enemy Territory Source Code Update

"TWO MONTHS™ will transform into TWO WEEKS™ in TWO WEEKS™."
Hey! Tensuke, that was my quote :p

kaprikawn said:
I'm not claiming to be an authority, more thinking out loud really. But I thought the Pandora was about as powerful as an Xbox? And Doom 3 was ported to that. So surely Doom 3 would run on the Pandora, no?

Actually, The Pandora is about as powerful as the Gamecube, which has less processing power than the XBox. But Doom 3 may still be possible on the Pandora, just not extremely flashy and all.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
cb88 said:
I was kind of hoping quake 3 would be open sourced this year...I guess everybody is having delays

Quake 3 has been open source for a while, it already runs on the Pandora, we've even got videos to prove it! ^_^

The only problem with Enemy Territory being ported is the graphic requirements. It barely runs (not playable) on my netbook with atom and gma950 with everything turned down. Effects like air strikes make it go even slower. Someone will have to invest more time then just porting ogl to ogl:es

greendots said:
The only problem with Enemy Territory being ported is the graphic requirements. It barely runs (not playable) on my netbook with atom and gma950 with everything turned down. Effects like air strikes make it go even slower. Someone will have to invest more time then just porting ogl to ogl:es
What enemy territory are you talking about?
The wolfenstein one run on top of the quake 3 one, and I bet no quake 3 game will pose any challenge to the pandora, I mean, more or less direct licences. Even graphical powerhouses (for the time that is) like Soldier of Fortune 2 or American McGee's Alice will probably run without much troubles.
More intense stuff like Call of Duty may be more troublesome, but not much.

However, if you are talking about the quake one, then we may have a problem there, since it is a seriously spiced up version of doom 3, with no of the limitations or tricks to make the game faster like small corridors, single monsters per room and definitely no outdoors (come on, the 2 or 3 of the game barely count, they look like ass and were quite small) will likely choke even on medium end computers.

Pity of the amount of Quake 2 or Quake 3 games that could run on the pandora won't see the light almost ever again on another platform due to the lack of source code. Some times I find it hard to understand the resilience of releasing it if the actual game lies in its game data, not the engine.
More so, these engines are no longer used anymore, and I would be surprised if even parts of them keeps getting used. Specially because it will becaome buried inside a computer HD somewhere even the developers don't know, and eventually disappear due to an accidental format.

Blue Ion said:
greendots said:
The wolfenstein one run on top of the quake 3 one, and I bet no quake 3 game will pose any challenge to the pandora, I mean, more or less direct licences. Even graphical powerhouses (for the time that is) like Soldier of Fortune 2 or American McGee's Alice will probably run without much troubles.

How can you argue with an actual test?
The GMA950 didn't peak in fps above 30 and would fall around 5 from some effects. Wolfenstein:ET is not just a mod of Q3. Pandora's GPU wouldn't have enough power for a straight port.

SGX530 < (SGX535 == GMA500) < GMA950

The similar SGX535 is running at 200mhz while SGX530 is only running at 110.

greendots said:
Blue Ion said:
greendots said:

How can you argue with an actual test?
The GMA950 didn't peak in fps above 30 and would fall around 5 from some effects. Wolfenstein:ET is not just a mod of Q3. Pandora's GPU wouldn't have enough power for a straight port.

SGX530 < (SGX535 == GMA500) < GMA950

The similar SGX535 is running at 200mhz while SGX530 is only running at 110.

I thought you just confused the quake wars with the wolfenstein one. Sorry about not reading properly the rest of the topic, and specially your posts.

As for FPS, check the UMID M1 gaming video and watch how it suffers to stay above 15 fps while the pandora's Quake 3 managed a steady 40 fps (or above) with a quick port and a more complex level (and I don't think the lower resolution helps that much). The video above is with a Intel Atom at 1,1 Ghz and the GMA 500 which shows either how sloppy the SGX driver is, or the future potential of the pandora, so I wouldn't rule out running the game at a satisfactory frame rates with standard optimizations.

Besides, to me, 15 fps is quite playable, I played Crysis on the delta dificulty at 13 fps with a Radeon 9600 and had a blast with it, I even took the luxury of adding shadows to the ultra low profile the game forced me to use.
So playable can be quite relative.

craigix said:
I think doom3 will be the edge of the Pandora power, it will run but not very well. But then we always need things like this to port over to the next gen system in a couple of years or so.

I actually quite like that about people getting software with higher requirements running.

Don't worry, I'd only load Doom 3 to play Super Chicken Punch anyway.

Back