Release Jmol a molecular designer/viewer for chemists out there!

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
Since I am frequently disappointed by the lack of professional applications on Pandora here is another shot at completing the "Office" kind of offering, with a very complete software for molecular viewing and designing, Jmol.

http://repo.openpand...detail&app=jmol

You can create and view small molecules as well as very complex protein structures. I tested on my Pandora the rendering for small molecules and it was fast enough, but if you venture into the protein world you may experience a slow framerate when rotating the structures around. But anyway, it's possible and very useful if you are a chemistry or bio-chemistry student.

Hope you like it ! Please rate if you do !

01.png

02.png

03.png

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, that's looking great... now what is that for? :p nice job for the port through, I hope it will serve for some other people

Nice!

Hmmm, maybe an arm-build of PyMol? (oh wait, then we get in to the GLES-mess again probably ..)

wow, that's looking great... now what is that for? :p nice job for the port through, I hope it will serve for some other people
I would not call that a port, though - it's simply the encapsulation of a java app inside a PND :) relatively easy to do once you have done one before!

It can be used to visualize structures in space - it's useful for organic chemists (like me) to know the position of the molecule in space because the shape influences a lot its activity and its reactivity. In the past we used to do this kind of things with actual models in plastic (think Lego-like models) and it's now more practical to do it on a Pandora :)

Probably also usefull for people doing molecular spectroscopy, like my girlfriend.

Nice addition! Not usefull for me personally, but I just love to see such software for professional use being ported. It shows that the Pandora is much more than just a gaming-handheld!

Somewhere I have some pictures where I used the Pandora to do remote observations with the Effelsberg 100m radiotelescope. It's amazing what you can do!

Back