JPEG View v1.00 (and FileSel.c) Released

Flavor

Daddy
The JPEG View WWW page

JPEG View is a program for viewing JPEG graphics.
I wanted a program that would view the JPGs that my Olympus camera stores on its SmartMedia card. The idea is that I could take pictures on my camera and then view them (or show them to other people) on my GP32. I couldn't find any programs that would properly handle my JPGs so I made my own. Maybe it'll help you, too.

I also wrote a new File Selector (file browser) to use with the viewer. I tried to make it as reusable as possible. If you use it, please tell me, and if you modify it, please send me any changes you make to it.

Looks nice :) - I wonder if integrating it properly into GPFM might be possible (the 1.5b sources *are* available after all).

Is there a maximum resolution, out of interest?

Well, in theory, the max resolution is 2560x1920 pixels. Though, in reality, it will display larger pictures, but then you will not be able to view the entire picture.

I could include a 1/16 ratio that would double the max resolution. I will consider that, because I could just decode the picture at 1/8 and then throw away every other pixel. That should allow you to view larger pictures, but it might have an odd effect on my zooming code, so it isn't trivial to add right now.

Me like! Me like a lot!
Now all we need is a decent slide-show gizmothingie :)
Thanks. I could add a slide-show feature to it. Right now, just hit L or R if you want to change to another picture in the current directory. I could make it do an automatic R after some number of seconds, but I figure if you're looking at the GP32, then your finger is already on the R button. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
good fast and usefull
but you should allow deplacement when viewing a photo...Its boring to have to zoom back then to select another part of the photo then zoom in again...

see you ;)

That would be great! Will you be realising the source in time?

EDIT: And you might want to add a gamma option, 'caus it looks quite dark without the FL on.

I knew that people would ask about moving around the picture in realtime, so maybe I should have just mentioned this right away.

The way it works is that it will only decode a maximum of 320x240 pixels at a time. The problem with some previous JPG viewers is that they would run out of memory during decompression because they would try to view the entire picture. My idea to get around this memory limit was to only decode the part of the picture that the user is viewing. Of course, this adds limitations because it would be nice to be able to move around the picture at full resolution. In my case, I decided that it was a fair trade-off.

So, I hope you can live with the zoom-in, zoom-out way of viewing. I don't think that I will change that anytime soon. :(

As for the gamma idea, I think that's a great idea. My GP32s are non-FLU, and sometimes it's hard to see what's going on. I'll try to come up with a way to do this.

Oh, and you want the source code already? :) I don't mind releasing it, but I would like to wait to see what people think about v1.00 first and to see if anyone comes across any bugs that I need to fix.

Ok, dont know what im doing wrong,

copied the file to my gp32 into /gpmm, created a folder called /pics, when i browse to the folder, a list of my pics comes up, if I click the A button the screen shifts up slightly, a white bar at the bottom of the screen apears and the gp32 freezes.

Anyone else get this?

The way it works is that it will only decode a maximum of 320x240 pixels at a time. The problem with some previous JPG viewers is that they would run out of memory during decompression because they would try to view the entire picture. My idea to get around this memory limit was to only decode the part of the picture that the user is viewing. Of course, this adds limitations because it would be nice to be able to move around the picture at full resolution. In my case, I decided that it was a fair trade-off.

Can't IW.fxe do that?
Im not sure aout that but I think so...
Maybe Im wrong

see you ;)

Is 320*240 the max the GP32 can handle in memory...if it is not then you can decompress a bigger part of the photo allowing the users to scrool a little...
Or make direct acces from the SMC to decode in real time...
My calculator (HP48) can do that...

copied the file to my gp32 into /gpmm, created a folder called /pics, when i browse to the folder, a list of my pics comes up, if I click the A button the screen shifts up slightly, a white bar at the bottom of the screen apears and the gp32 freezes.

Anyone else get this?
This sounds like a clock speed problem.......

Anyone else get this?
This sounds like a clock speed problem.......
In gpstart.c I do this.
GpClockSpeedChange( 67800000, 0x25002, 1);

Do you think that's reasonable? Is that different than the default? Could that be causing his problem???

At one point in my development, I was trying to up the clock speed just before decoding the JPG and then setting it back just after, but that proved to be more problematic.

I used my cam that takes smartmedia cards and as long as i used the lowest resolution i could play it back in gpfm. this looks like it can show higher res photos tho so nice work!

Ok, done some playing around, looks like some kind of file size, Amont issue.

My pics folder had 300+ pics on it, as soon as I dropped it to less than 300 it works fine.

Very nice.

I knew that people would ask about moving around the picture in realtime, so maybe I should have just mentioned this right away.

So, I hope you can live with the zoom-in, zoom-out way of viewing. I don't think that I will change that anytime soon. :(

As for the gamma idea, I think that's a great idea. My GP32s are non-FLU, and sometimes it's hard to see what's going on. I'll try to come up with a way to do this.

Oh, and you want the source code already? :) I don't mind releasing it, but I would like to wait to see what people think about v1.00 first and to see if anyone comes across any bugs that I need to fix.
Hmm... you might be able to fiddle this by keeping a map of the pic in the corner, and alowing the selecting of the area to zoom on that - that way you don't need to keep the entire pic loaded (well, leastways, not all of it - discard prolly about 80%) Could be that if you press a button, the map appears, press again and it vanishes.

Alternatively, Left when zoomed --> works out where the left margin was in the original and uses it as the right margin for the next bit.

Not certain either would work (as I frequently say, I'm not a coder) but some ideas to throw into the mix that might get around it...

Just what i wanted,
havent tested it yet, but i'm really happy to have it! :lol:

I always thought it would be handy with a smc digital camera.

<cool> Just what I asked for back when I got my Gp32...

One request ... Thumbnails? That's be REALLY <cool>

Oh, also take this as a "third" for SlideShow too!

Back