Jtag Doesn't Work, Can't Find A Gp2x Distributor, & Other

mulletman

Still Fresh
First off, I used to have a GP2X, which got stolen, and so I recently got the new value pack, along with the cradle and a power adapter. I received it all in the mail, and couldn't get a single thing to work. The GP2X, running firmware 3.0, wouldn't run any games, play music or show pictures (and of course, using the cradle was way too much to ask), and didn't even have a utilities section. I then tried downgrading it to firmware 2.0, but nothing. Hoping I hadn't bricked it, I tried it again, but still nothing. This time, however, I did brick it. At this point it doesn't even show anything when it turns on.

My next step was to use the cradle in a JTAG setup. I used a printer cable (db-25, male-male, works fine) and did exactly as the guide for jtag-ing said. Again nothing. At this point, I'm about to lose it, and so I check online to just buy a new GP2X, but the only thing that it seems you can buy anymore is the value pack, which was what I bought and didn't work.

I don't want to deal with contacting the manufacturer and sending it back, then waiting for it all over again because frankly I'm fed up with waiting, and that's if they would even take it back. So my questions are as follows:

1. Is there something not mentioned in the JTAG guide that I'm missing?
2. Where can I buy a new GP2X with firmware no higher than 2.*.*?
3. Is there anything else I can do?

If I can't get this problem sorted out by tonight I'm just going to go buy a PSP.

go buy a psp :)
No seriously, do you realy tihnk anyone here cares if you do?

To your problem, well, maybe you should have asked earlier, and we may have been able to help you.
Are you sure you are using decent and full rechargeables?

I'm not making threat when I say I'll buy a PSP, I'm just saying that's my alternative.

Yes, the batteries are fine. Brand new in fact. Also, I had my old GP2X for almost a year, so I've already tried all the basic of what-to-do's. Thanks, though.

Why dont you want to send it back?

If it didnt run software besides the basic front end out of the box sounds like a serious issue that wouldnt have been spotted in regular testing.

Where did you buy it?

Just contact the distributor you bought it from and arrange for an exchange as it sounds as if it could be faulty. The value pack as far as I know is the only pack available now but shouldn't be a problem as the gp2x inside hasn't changed.

If you're willing to just buy a new GP2X rather than arrange for a replacement you have way too much money.

And so we see the results of a 3.0->2.0 downgrade, awesome :). EvilDragon may be able to fix it for you, but I expect it'll cost you something.

JTAG is a very imprecise way of unbricking. You can spend hours repeating the same thing only to find it magically works one time. I would guess and say you've introduced lots of 'fake' bad blocks onto the NAND. If that's the case, you'll need to find somebody able, and willing to repair that for you - it requires extra steps than a standard JTAG flash.

I tried doing the whole JTAG setup again and still nothing. Just colored lines on an un-backlit screen on boot.

I suppose I'll just try to do an exchange, with which I hope to fare much better than repairing it. Thanks for all the help (regardless of results :rolleyes: ).

Back