Jtag? External Port?

xsamii

Still Fresh
Hey does anyone know if we can access the hardware and write new firmware for the GP2X? I am still waiting for mine. Also does anyone have the full pin out diagram for the external port?

I saw this site: http://www.nigelibrown.pwp.blueyonder.co.u...e/ext/index.htm

where the said something about JTAG connections. Could the cpus be soft core cpus? What potential if so!!! Also if they are soft cores, can I get the source code?

Look around a bit before asking these questions. The answers to most of those questions are in the forums and the wiki. You will see that most of the source code to the Linux kernel and uboot loader has been released and is being worked on right now. You will also see that there is a wiki that contains a diagram of the EXT port and what pins are known.

The CPUs are not written in software. They are your standard ARM920T and ARM940T CPUs. You cannot modify the CPUs by rewriting their "software". JTAG can be used to upload and download firmware and debug at the CPU level.

xsamii posted on Dec 10 2005 at 04:31 AM said:
Hey does anyone know if we can access the hardware and write new firmware for the GP2X? I am still waiting for mine. Also does anyone have the full pin out diagram for the external port?

where the said something about JTAG connections. Could the cpus be soft core cpus? What potential if so!!! Also if they are soft cores, can I get the source code?

A soft core ("cpu") is a CPU written in VHDL ( or verilog, etc.) and then "programmed' into programmable hardware, a FPGA (Field Programmable Gate Array, just google if you need more info). Does anyone around here happen to know if the chip from Magic Eyes is a big FPGA?

Last edited by a moderator:
5465756e posted on Dec 10 2005 at 10:20 AM said:

A soft core ("cpu") is a CPU written in VHDL ( or verilog, etc.) and then "programmed' into programmable hardware, a FPGA (Field Programmable Gate Array, just google if you need more info). Does anyone around here happen to know if the chip from Magic Eyes is a big FPGA?

fpga chips are only for designing new chips, later then all is working, and the design is good, an fpga is no longer used. The chip hardware is build static. An fpga chip is to expensive for mass use.
Also fpga chips are slow. ( e.g. you cant emulate an 2Ghz Athlon64, on an fpga chip )

cu...

mr.mirko posted on Dec 10 2005 at 01:07 PM said:
5465756e posted on Dec 10 2005 at 10:20 AM said:
Hey does anyone know if we can access the hardware and write new firmware for the GP2X? I am still waiting for mine. Also does anyone have the full pin out diagram for the  external port?

fpga chips are only for designing new chips, later then all is working, and the design is good, an fpga is no longer used. The chip hardware is build static. An fpga chip is to expensive for mass use.
Also fpga chips are slow. ( e.g. you cant emulate an 2Ghz Athlon64, on an fpga chip )

cu...

Well, true, depending on the volume of chips produced. For low volumes it's cheaper just to use FPGA. I don't know how many MMSP 2 are sold.
2nd. Also true. But 200MHz is definately possible.
But thanks 4 the reply.

Back