Jtag Interface/software Available?

nubie

Recovering Jerk-A-Holic
Website
Visit site
I may have a bricked unit, white screen fades to colored lines on startup with power adapter and freshly charged 2500mAh NiMH.

Has anyone fixed up a Jtag unbricker yet?

Will the schematic for the GP32 Jtag work, if someone writes the program?

I don't mind soldering up an interface and flashing with Jtag, the thing doesn't work anyway.

nubie posted on Dec 12 2005 at 07:30 PM said:
I may have a bricked unit, white screen fades to colored lines on startup with power adapter and freshly charged 2500mAh NiMH.

I don't mind soldering up an interface and flashing with Jtag, the thing doesn't work anyway.

:( How did you brick it? Who invented that term anyway :huh:

I don't know.

Sure. JTAG is a standard so any cable should work. The PC interface is different per cable though so your program needs to "know" your cable. You can find schematics for a cable here.
However only the JTAG connection and a few commands are standard, the rest is chip specific. If anyone knows a program which supports the MMSP 2 I am very interested. I didn't see the commands specified in the datasheet. If someone has any info on this it should not be so difficult to write a program. I’d be willing to put some time into this!

Last edited by a moderator:
nubie posted on Dec 12 2005 at 07:30 PM said:

automatic flash upgrade eh? :D That also happened to me :( very frustrating :angry:

I've send it today to the spanish distribuitor and will change it for a new one :)

But when the j-tags will be disponible I WILL buy one for sure

efegea posted on Dec 12 2005 at 08:56 PM said:
automatic flash upgrade eh? :D That also happened to me :( very frustrating :angry:

Did you have the SD card in the unit? I am wondering if this problem can be avoided by only inserting the SD card once the unit is fully booted.

I think it happened when my batteries died, I didn't see anything on the screen, it just went colored lines. Ever since then it won't boot.

I already updated to firmware 1.0.1 when I got it.

I wish the battery meter was worth something, cause on empty I usually get another hour and a half of play out of it, I never know when it is dead for real.

Dictionary definition:
"Brick, useless heavy square object, see GP2X"

P.S. That is a really grody avatar,

can't sleep clown will paint me. . . .can't sleep clown will paint me. . . .can't sleep clown will paint me. . . .can't sleep clown will paint me. . . .can't sleep clown will paint me. . . .can't sleep clown will paint me. . . .can't sleep clown will paint me. . . .

I haven't seen anyone mention that they have a JTAG for the GP2X yet, or that any are available.

I did find out today that the Xbox 360 CPU has JTAG. I don't think it is exposed to the outside world though. :)

slygamer posted on Dec 13 2005 at 09:08 AM said:
I haven't seen anyone mention that they have a JTAG for the GP2X yet, or that any are available.

Obviously, dignsys has a JTAG. The price is around $50 plus $100 shipping to Europe, US should be the same.

nubie posted on Dec 13 2005 at 01:56 AM said:
I think it happened when my batteries died, I didn't see anything on the screen, it just went colored lines. Ever since then it won't boot.

I already updated to firmware 1.0.1 when I got it.

I wish the battery meter was worth something, cause on empty I usually get another hour and a half of play out of it, I never know when it is dead for real.

Dictionary definition:
"Brick, useless heavy square object, see GP2X"

P.S. That is a really grody avatar,

can't sleep clown will paint me. . . .can't sleep clown will paint me. . . .can't sleep clown will paint me. . . .can't sleep clown will paint me. . . .can't sleep clown will paint me. . . .can't sleep clown will paint me. . . .can't sleep clown will paint me. . . .

Thanks for your reply. I need to be carefull with empty batteries then (once I get mine).

Ahh, ok :)

:lol:

nubie posted on Dec 13 2005 at 08:48 AM said:
Anyone?

Devs?

Should I ask the Dev forum?

As I said before the cable is easy to make yourself. I've been looking for the MMSP2 documentation as the datasheet on the MagicEyes is not a real datasheet... it's more like the marketing version. I just ran into this from the wiki. It look like most of the needed info might be in the Data Book. I'll have a look this evening.

5465756e posted on Dec 13 2005 at 01:39 AM said:
nubie posted on Dec 13 2005 at 08:48 AM said:
Anyone?

Devs?

Should I ask the Dev forum?

As I said before the cable is easy to make yourself. I've been looking for the MMSP2 documentation as the datasheet on the MagicEyes is not a real datasheet... it's more like the marketing version. I just ran into this from the wiki. It look like most of the needed info might be in the Data Book. I'll have a look this evening.

I read a lot of that stuff two months ago, I need a program, or an image to write when I get a Jtag.

Ok. I guess I was a little over enthusiastic about the Data Book PDF as it does not say anything about the JTAG.
However I did find some interesting info on dignsys's site. (Look in DEPSS-MMSP2 and JTAGProbe.
I wonder what tool they supply to upgrade the flash memory. As far as I am aware GDB can't do that. However they do supply GDB and also they say:

The JTAGProbe provide software debugging as free of charge with open tool for the small company and students.
The JTAGProbe user can download user program and upgrade flash memory easily.

Also their JTAGProbe = "compatible with Wiggler of Macraigor System" which is good because that one is easy to make at home.

The U-boot image is not the problem as it is available on the net.

I've send dignsys an e-mail to see if they will send me the tool. Anyway, they are forced to do that for GDB as it is released under the GPL.

You shouldn't need a PC side program to write the NAND over jtag - just upload U-Boot to RAM and use it to flash the NAND.

BradN posted on Dec 14 2005 at 02:50 AM said:
You shouldn't need a PC side program to write the NAND over jtag - just upload U-Boot to RAM and use it to flash the NAND.

That sounds really interesting! If that's the case then I think we have everything we need to do a flash. Dignsys ships GDB with their JTAGprobe and some flash tool. Their cable is Macraigor compatible so we could just make one.
So can we just use GDB to upload U-Boot and that should work?

BradN posted on Dec 14 2005 at 10:50 AM said:
If you could describe how you upload U-Boot to RAM and use it to flash the NAND without any PC side software, I'd appreciate the information.

SolidSnake posted on Dec 14 2005 at 12:57 AM said:
o.0
HOW THE HELL PEOPLE ARE BRICKING THEIR GP2Xs?

since I really like to "OH! what is this file?", i need to know what to avoid to do :X

Well, there's a fair few ways kill a 2x, and not all of them obvious. Those I can remember:
- Deleting libraries on the Nand
- Bad flash (e.g. with low batteries or a card that is rendered incompatible by the upgrade)
- Randomly on turning the unit on!

5465756e posted on Dec 14 2005 at 12:00 AM said:
I've send dignsys an e-mail to see if they will send me the tool. Anyway, they are forced to do that for GDB as it is released under the GPL.

You don't even know what the tool looks like, neither how it is implemented. Saying it has to obay the GPL is definitely a wild guess.

No, I was saying the PC side program doesn't need understanding of writing to NAND - you still need something to upload U-Boot obviously ;)

peter.stegemann posted on Dec 14 2005 at 04:58 PM said:

You don't even know what the tool looks like, neither how it is implemented.

Correct. But I might as well try.

Saying it has to obay the GPL is definitely a wild guess.

Read carefully. That only refers to GDB. I was slightly wrong there though. They are only obligated to send me the source of GDB if they made any changes.

Back