Just A Couple Of Little Things

Radio

Website
Visit site
1: Does anyone else have trouble getting the smc back out of the gp?
That little groove on the gp to let you grip the card (Kingston 128mb) is too small so I tried pushing it out with my thumbs, like the way you do with a Game Boy cartridge but it's really tough. I had to resort to using a pair of tweezers to get it out but obviously that's not a practise I'm keen on repeating.

2: When transfering files to the smc using the pc-link and GP32 Manger I can drag the fxe files over no problem but the folders that go with it for some games won't drag and drop so I have to create the folder myself then drag the contents over. Not a big deal but more time consuming. Am I missing something here or is that just the way the software is designed?

~ Radio

To your first question, Posted pics a while back about a handy little tip for removing SMC`s and pretty much any card media from awkward device slots.
Basically you put a piece of doubled up sticky tape over the back end of the card to create a sort of tab that can be pulled when you want to remove the card.

IMG_0392.JPG

As for your second question, I`ve never used gp32 manager, But i did use pclink ages ago before i got my smc card reader. From what i have read on these boards, It sound as though using gp-drive or phoda-drive is the way to go, If you haven`t got a card reader. Gp-drive is a program that you run on your GP32 after connecting it to your comp and mounts it as a removeable drive, So you can use windows explorer of any other file manager you choose to transfer files to your GP32.

Hope this helps.

See, I never swore once. ;)

Trooper

OR, get phodrive. It won't sole your hard to get out smc,

but it WILL solve your pclink problems.

It makes ur gp show up as a mass storage device.

i bought my card reader off of ebay for $2, and it was $8 after shipping. For $8 it was the best money I spent on my GP32 because of speed in which you can transfer stuff, and also a card reader is not limited to the 8 character limit that pc link is, so I can transfer something that is more than 8 characters without a problem, that was my biggest pain in the ass, downloading something, then trying to transfer it forgetting that it needed renamed.

I agree completely. Additionally, I think that the BLU is much harder to remove cards from than the FLU. I like the selotape idea, I might give that a go.

The problem with creating folders is to do with PC Link. Get GPDrive on your card and try it, it is extremely good -- just remember to press the select button before you disconnect the gp32_console after transfer is complete.

I got my card reader at Curcuit City for $5. The only thing it cant do faster is format :( so dont delete PClink.

I use a thin strip from an old credit card superglued to the top edge of the SMC. You can use different colour strips to colour-code your SMCs .

I have a BLU an haven't had trouble removing the SMC. I just hold the GP32 with the front facing toward me and I use my pointer, middle, and ring finger to pull up on the card. Once it comes out enough, I grab it on the other side with my thumb and pull it the rest of the way out.

Don't have any trouble taking it out that way either...
As for the cardreaders, unfortunately not all seem to work very well together with the GP... or at least, mine doesn't :( it's hellishly slow with any card formatted by the GP, and if it formats it itself then the GP doesn't read it anymore...
Just something to keep in mind, if you can try your card in a cardreader first to test it, that'd be a plus I'd think.

Back