Just A Thought

namco

Website
www.stupendous-stuff.com
I've had a quick check through the search and didn't find much but has anyone had WINE working on the gp2x? If so, could someone please do a how to if need be?

I'm just thinking that for some games that can't be ported, due to no source port, WINE may work it better??

Like I say just a thought. :)

also, im pretty sure it requires an x86 (or any other) pc processor (i doubt it will work on an ARM)

namco posted on Dec 5 2006 at 04:06 PM said:
I'm just thinking that for some games that can't be ported, due to no source port, WINE may work it better??
No. For one reason, the games would be compiled for the x86 architecture which wouldn't work on the GP2X, as it uses the ARM architecture. WINE provides an implementation of the Windows API - nothing more...

From the WINE FAQ:
2.2. Does Wine emulate a full computer?

No, as the name says, Wine Is Not a (CPU) Emulator. Wine just provides the Windows API. This means that you will need an x86-compatible processor to run an x86 Windows application, for instance from Intel or AMD. The advantage is that, unlike solutions that rely on CPU emulation, Wine runs applications at full speed. Sometimes a program run under Wine will be slower than when run on a copy of Microsoft Windows, but this is more due to the fact that Microsoft has heavily optimized parts of their code, whereas mostly Wine is not well optimized (yet). Occasionally, an app may run faster under Wine than on Windows. Most apps run at roughly the same speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
well there is dosbox for the 2x, you could try that for which ever game you want to try ....and i belive its "not ever possible, don't ever ask" type of things? but i could be wrong

Ignoring the difficulty of good dynamic recompilation to run x86 code (and the lack of an FPU), it would be very difficult to pull off because 32 megs of RAM just wouldn't be enough to run the dynamic recompiler, WINE, X windows (wine needs something to display to) and a program of any complexity. Let alone, most PC programs expect a keyboard and mouse, which are an extra pain to simulate with the controls available.

Back