Just Had My 2Nd Batch Pre-Order Email

No idea, the email doesn't say.

My main annoyance with the price is it the age old saying "rip-off Britain" has been proven once again.

why is that a product "Built in England" is more expensive here.

:(

Ian_J said:
No idea, the email doesn't say.

My main annoyance with the price is it the age old saying "rip-off Britain" has been proven once again.

why is that a product "Built in England" is more expensive here.

:(

It isn't. But you have to add VAT within the EU.

Last edited:
Apologies if I sound like a big whinger.

I'm still going to buy one, just not as soon as I would have liked.

You only have to look at the price of similar devices to see just how complex and expensive this tech is - and the Pandora can often do more than similar (eg n900) devices.

Another thing to consider is that there should not be any further costs for you, the software after all is free - you are also getting what is a tiny laptop computer for £280 inc VAT with a kickass 10 hour battery life!

Probably best to stop thinking of the Pandora as ONLY a console, it's a micro computer. (I'm resurrecting that phrase).

Ian_J said:
UK GBP PRICE

Pandora £279.99 (includes VAT)

Accessories
TV OUT £14.99
CARRY CASE £14.99
BATTERY £21.99
POWER ADAPTOR £9.99
Stylus £5.50
Dev Fund donation £10

UPS/Special Delivery shipping £8.00 (UK)

Not as expensive as it sounds.

Google gives me £230 for $349 in UKP. Nobody gets those rates (obviously) as you have to pay commission and so on and there are various other costs, but it gives you a starting point.

17.5% VAT (that's today) adds £40.25 to that figure. So on a (somewhat unrealistic) exchange rate, it would be £270.45 anyway.

Remember if the exchange rate was, say, marginally worse, then you would be looking at £280 quite easily, as VAT would add up. Plus they are going to adjust it sensibly to give you a sensible looking price and to handle future currency fluctuations.

The postoffice offer 237.69 as the sterling cost for $349 by the way - so the difference is not much off a pound or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
You only have to look at the price of similar devices to see just how complex and expensive this tech is - and the Pandora can often do more than similar (eg n900) devices.

Another thing to consider is that there should not be any further costs for you, the software after all is free - you are also getting what is a tiny laptop computer for £280 inc VAT with a kickass 10 hour battery life!

Probably best to stop thinking of the Pandora as ONLY a console, it's a micro computer. (I'm resurrecting that phrase).
guys,
craig is right. this kinda tech is expensive to build. i would have spent 500~600 on the pandora when i preordered.
look around you at what these other companies are asking for their devices.
i am typing this reply on my pandora as i speak. This device is no budget chinese cloned ripmeoff. Open Pandora is trying to innovate the handheld market with great tech and killer support. Lets not discount their intentions with complaints about cost. Please.
sincerely, if yall had one in your hands right now, you'd agree with me.

Oh yea baby i just paid for my batch 2 order after i got my order id and google pay request.Well now hope to get it around september october i hope really looking farward to it by then the file archive should grow there was one thing i wanted to know? when i recieve my batch 2 order will i have to apply all the hotfixes 1,2,3 or will they already be applied for me then.

Most companies will work with a 40% profit margin which explains why similar devices are in the 500~600 range and those are with the kind of bulk discounts a major manufacturer can get. I'm not trying to sell the device to anyone but I don't think people appreciate what an absolute steal the preorders were considering it was a low batch, niche market product.

femngi said:
Most companies will work with a 40% profit margin

And they still find money to spend on well refined UIs, software, etc.

craigix said:

It's everything I wanted back in 1985. Actually, no, it's not - I envisioned a 3.5mhz processor and 64KB RAM. But still, you're right about one thing - it's excellent value for money.

D.

EvilDragon said:
crow_riot said:
EvilDragon said:
Still, prices for comparable OMAP3 devices are still higher, so it's not that bad.
If you take a look at what you can do with a Pandora, it's still a good price :)

so ... whats the price then in euro? and is preordering possible with you already?

Will send out eMails to people who were interested in getting one from the first batch probably this weekend.
Price will be 340 EUR (incl. VAT and shipping within Germany)

ok thx. which email address should i write to, to get on the 2nd batch preorder list? :)

craigix said:
The N900 is a bad example. Take the Samsung S8500 Wave:

Pandora - Samsung S8500 Wave
299 € - 305,50 €
600 Mhz - 1 Ghz
4.3" LCD - 3.3" Super AMOLED
256 MB RAM - 512 MB RAM

I know I know - you can't compare the two - you can't compare Samsung and OpenPandora. But I just wanted to point out that you can get better hardware for the same price nowadays.

Jan-Nik said:
craigix said:
The N900 is a bad example. Take the Samsung S8500 Wave for example:

299 € - 305,50 €
600 Mhz - 1 Ghz
256 MB RAM - 512 MB RAM

I know I know - you can't compare the two - you can't compare Samsung and OpenPandora. But I just wanted to point out that you can get better hardware for the same price nowadays.
Well when you speak of hardware here it includes the controls and such so the Samsung S8500 Wave just doesn't compare when speaking of overall use for gaming and computing. If it came down to specs of the device not including controls then there are plenty of devices that cost about the same has the pandora but offer more. This reminds me of the Ipod vs other MP3 players, the other MP3 players offer more features than the basic IPOD but at the fraction of the price. But you don't get the kind of product support like accessories and such like you do with the IPOD. So i guess the PANDORA is kind of in the middle of the road.

Derek said:
Well when you speak of hardware here it includes the controls and such so the Samsung S8500 Wave just doesn't compare when speaking of overall use for gaming and computing.
I didn't want to compare the use for gaming and computing! Just the price for the overall hardware since some people said that similar devices (which we all know don't really exist - there's no alternative to the pandora!) "are in the 500~600 range". Which is wrong because you can get "similiar devices" (let's define this as devices with the same SoC or a faster one and a screen) for about 300 €.

Jan-Nik said:
Derek said:
Well when you speak of hardware here it includes the controls and such so the Samsung S8500 Wave just doesn't compare when speaking of overall use for gaming and computing.
I didn't want to compare the use for gaming and computing! Just the price for the overall hardware since some people said that similar devices (which we all know don't really exist - there's no alternative to the pandora!) "are in the 500~600 range". Which is wrong because you can get "similiar devices" (let's define this as devices with the same SoC or a faster one and a screen) for about 300 €.
Oh. Well in just the hardware spec wise the Pandora gets owned hands down by features and speed by most devices that have been released in the last couple of years.

Jan-Nik said:
299 € - 305,50 €
600 Mhz - 1 Ghz
256 MB RAM - 512 MB RAM
Do you really believe this is a better overall package? yes, the processor is speced 20% faster, and there is 2x the ram. Add spare batteries, external keyboard and you might be approaching the functionality which pandora gives me. Just comparing the numbers is misleading. (and I do have a phone with a 1GHz processor, but no root access...)

Derek said:
Jan-Nik said:
Derek said:
Oh. Well in just the hardware spec wise the Pandora gets owned hands down by features and speed by most devices that have been released in the last couple of years.

This depends entirely on what hardware you're talking about, no? You could say the Pandora's hardware controls and battery beat any other device ever released hands down.

Also, there may be phones claiming amazing hardware specs, but I'd bet most optimised emulators on the Pandora would run rings around the equivalent emulators on those phones.

And finally, the Pandora isn't a phone. You might as well be comparing it to netbooks again.

The comparison to things like the N900 is much more valid.

Yep, one thing to consider is: Things like controls, keyboards, hinges, etc. all add to the costs. And of course: Masses. If we could produce 100.000 Pandoras, I bet the price per Pandora could be half of what we have now.

tsh said:
Jan-Nik said:
299 € - 305,50 €
600 Mhz - 1 Ghz
256 MB RAM - 512 MB RAM
Do you really believe this is a better overall package?
Depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to toast something I think a toaster would be the better overall package. But that wasn't my point (see my previous post).

anyway - you can't compare prices just because of 2 components. you need to put all the components into your calculation to make it reasonable.

Back