Just Ordered My Pandora

lordbobjones

Just wanted to say Hey to everyone on the Pandora section of this board. I am new around here and just ordered my Pandora yesterday. I have been following the development (ok... so I lurked for awhile GRIN) for some time and finally had the spare cash to make the purchase.

I love the concept behind the Pandora and look forward to helping with whatever I can in this community. I am familiar with a few names around here, especially Skeeziz and actually found out about this project while looking for updates to one of his programs (Shout out for Shadowplan)

About me: I live in Houston Texas and have been a lover of electronics for more years then I want to count. I did a bit of programming back in ancient days on the Atari 8 bit and ST platforms and some Palm OS programming. Right now I have mostly mucking about with windows mobile stuff since the demise of Palm. So if you are a Pandora user and live in Houston, shout at me and I will take ya to lunch while we talk about our machines.

Anyway I just wanted to give an introduction, say thank you for this whole concept and I look forward to any help I might give to this community. I am not up to any kind of programming at this point, but who knows. The jaguar emulator and lack of atari 800 emu has my attention. If anyone is working on them I would be interested in lending a hand where I can.

Ah, Palm. It brings a tear to the eye. I still use my TX for music compositional purposes.

Welcome aboard the roller coaster that is Pandora. Hold on tight.

^+1

Hope your wearing your patience hat :D

Welcome! great to have another member especially one willing/able to help develop.

i wonder ... i signed up for the newsletter to wait for the 'preorder is available' news ... have they been sent out? or how do i get to second batch ordering? (EDs should would be better since i'm in austria, right?)

crow_riot said:
i wonder ... i signed up for the newsletter to wait for the 'preorder is available' news ... have they been sent out? or how do i get to second batch ordering? (EDs should would be better since i'm in austria, right?)
Orders for the newsletters have not been sent out yet - just those for people who have already registered their interest with the shops. Though Mali was pasting copied of their email around here before, saying `just pretend you got it' - maybe try to find one of those.

Last edited by a moderator:
crow_riot, here is the newsletter(thanks sbock) ED sent, non-Pandora parts have been removed

Lange ist es her, seit der letzte Newsletter kam - aber es hat sich auch lange nichts mehr getan.
Dafür jetzt umso mehr!

Pandora - Batch 2 Vorbestellung via eMail

Die Pandora befindet sich ja mittlerweile in der Auslieferung - der 2. Batch kann per Mail für 330 EUR vorbestellt werden. Die Auslieferung beginnt - wenn alles nach Plan läuft - im Oktober.
Die Preiserhöhung kommt nicht von uns - der USD-Kurs im Vergleich mit dem Euro hat sich leider gewaltig verändert...
Und wer von mir den Preis von 339 EUR genannt bekommen hat: Da hatte ich einen Rechenfehler :)
Leider muss auch hier noch per Vorkasse gezahlt werden, da wir es uns nicht leisten können, die 4000 Teile für den zweiten Batch aus eigener Tasche im Voraus zu zahlen.
Außer, jemand hat schnell mal eine Million für uns als Geschenk ;)
Versand: Jetzt auch Hermes möglich

Ich biete nun nicht nur Versand via DHL und UPS, sondern auch via Hermes an.
Aufgrund der Abholslots bei mir wird es mit Hermes wahrscheinlich einen Tag länger dauern - dafür ist der Versand deutlich günstiger.

Games Com und 1. Bayerische Retrobörse

Ich (also EvilDragon) werde mit Pandora und evtl. Caanoo auf der GamesCom vertreten sein. Allerdings nicht mir Stand, sondern als Besucher (am Mittwoch).
Wer am Mittwoch auch da ist, und mich treffen möchte: Bitte einfach melden!

Zudem werde ich auf der 1. Bayerischen Retrobörse in Rosenheim mit einem Stand vertreten sein.
Diese findet am Samstag, den 24.07.10 statt.
Mehr Infos dazu gibt es unter http://www.retroboerse.de/

So, zum Thema Vorbestellung und Mails:

Ja, die Vorbestellung ist bei mir per Mail möglich (egal ob shop@gp2x.de oder EvilDragon@gp2x.de).
Die Antwort wird etwas dauern, aber es wird der Reihe nach abgearbeitet.

Die Mails ging zunächst an alle, die schon für Batch 1 angefragt hatten, dann an alle, die den Shopnewsletter erhalten haben.
Als nächstes gehen sie an alle raus, die sich auf der Webseite eingetragen haben.

Der Grund? Wenn ich an alle gleichzeitig rausschicke, dann sind wahrscheinlich die Server wieder schnell tot :)

Ich werde in den nächsten Tagen die Pandora auch in den Shop mit übernehmen. Dann kann man sie auch ganz normal bestellen.

Since the Pandora is a project started by only a few people, you won't find it in stores or big online shops.

The first 4000 units are currently in production, over 600 are already delivered.
If all goes well, the 4000 units will be delivered until the end of September.

Unfortunately, the first batch is already sold out - but fear not: The second batch will be produced immediately after the first one. Therefore, shipping could start in October (yes, 2010)

You can now preorder a unit from the second batch!
The faster you order, the earlier you will receive your unit. The cost for a Pandora is 349 USD (without VAT) or approx. 330 EUR (including VAT).

If you are from Germany or within the EU, you can order from info@openpandora.de This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
If you are from UK, within the EU or worldwide, you can order from sales@openpandora.org This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Please be aware that the money needs to be paid in advance.
Why? Easy: We need to pay all the parts for the Pandora production in advance.
And as we don't have a million Euro lying around...

Welcome aboard!

Our initiation rite is a test of patience. Just give it some time and you will understand (if you don't already) ;)

jutley said:
Since the Pandora is a project started by only a few people, you won't find it in stores or big online shops.

The first 4000 units are currently in production, over 600 are already delivered.
If all goes well, the 4000 units will be delivered until the end of September.

Unfortunately, the first batch is already sold out - but fear not: The second batch will be produced immediately after the first one. Therefore, shipping could start in October (yes, 2010)

You can now preorder a unit from the second batch!
The faster you order, the earlier you will receive your unit. The cost for a Pandora is 349 USD (without VAT) or approx. 330 EUR (including VAT).

If you are from Germany or within the EU, you can order from info@openpandora.de This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
If you are from UK, within the EU or worldwide, you can order from sales@openpandora.org This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Please be aware that the money needs to be paid in advance.
Why? Easy: We need to pay all the parts for the Pandora production in advance.
And as we don't have a million Euro lying around...

I think craig said they'd finish the 1st batch by the end of October not september but I may be wrong. Anyway welcome lordbobjones :)

Gah, I hate you too! Only kidding, can't order mine till after we have got my better half a new laptop :\ Welcome to the crazy place that is gp32x.de :)

Welcome aboard lordbobjones. Hope you're one of the more patient ones.

The patience scale is something as follows:

Ordered two+ years ago - Most patient, hardened veteran.
Ordered one year ago - Truly Patient, veteran.
Ordered six months ago - Somewhat patient, recent graduate.
Ordered last ~2 months - Patient, rookie
Ordered last ~2 weeks - Baby waiter.

I'm just 2 months (Reg. Trademark) short of being a veteran seeing I ordered around 10 months ago.

Don't be scared reading fiery flare-up threads. It's just a dry grass fire. Dies out quickly (if the field is small) :D

relliker said:
Ordered two+ years ago - Most patient, hardened veteran.
We don't have any of these yet. Though we're slightly over two months away from that :D

Hi lordbobjones,

I have a soft spot for the old Atari line too.

Really looking forward to emulating the A8, and ST, on the Pandora with a keyboard, for the most part.

Will also be interested on how other folk use their Pandoras' too, of course.

I find the developments interesting, and wish I could take part in the early days, like I got to for the GP2X, but it all makes for good reading.

Thanks for the welcomes. Yes I have put my patient hat on and realized that patience will be necessary. I started looking at the dev info and tools. Good stuff! Thanks and now I am off to San Antonio for a week on the riverwalk and some hard core relaxing.

Have fun.

Back