Just Volt-modded My Gp32

Shadow of Chaos posted on Dec 13 2004 at 06:41 AM said:
how high can you overclock with 1.99v and what are the chances of it screwing up your GP at that voltage?

Mineruns at 1.99 and I get 208mhz on the clocktest.

My Flu is 1.98 and I get 188mhz on the clocktest.

Last edited by a moderator:
oooo
I could live with 200++
did you do the voltmod urself dude??

o ya, what resistors did you use for each of those clock speeds, and are those leaded cause those are the ones ill do
thx

~Octavious

Sweet, maybe you can just up the voltage to 2.01 and get 240Mhz.. Hmm :huh: the worst it would do in my eyes is drain the batteries slightly faster.. i cant really see it destroying anything if it doesnt heat up, anyones opinion?

would be nice If we could see mow much voltage people who can run 220+ have to their CPU's while overclocking
then we could base that on ours
I think there needs to be a way for everyone to get atleast 200 mhz, perferably higher, cause then emulation would be better
I remember someone saying on a hacked Osnes9x or whatever they got full speed FS 0 no sound, FS 2 with sound on SNES games
that would be sweet
and that would give people like myself more to work with in GPQuake, maybe one of the best ports ever!

~Octavious

Shadow of Chaos posted on Dec 14 2004 at 03:03 PM said:
who said it was bad? no one has obiestly tried it

Does not obiest mean like a fat person? Anyway, in general, voltage higher than approved is bad thing for the device.

Octavious posted on Dec 13 2004 at 10:42 PM said:
oooo
I could live with 200++
did you do the voltmod urself dude??

o ya, what resistors did you use for each of those clock speeds, and are those leaded cause those are the ones ill do
thx

~Octavious

I used leaded resistors.
And I used a 270k with a 330k for the 208mhz BLU.

sweet!
I might have to seriously think about doing that.....
does anyone know of any US stores ( perferably chains ) like RadioShack that will have these?
also, what voltage does that put out?

thx

~Octavious

alright enough of your blubbering, the real important question, how does Chip's Challenge play!!!

ralp99 posted on Dec 14 2004 at 02:58 PM said:
alright enough of your blubbering, the real important question, how does Chip's Challenge play!!!

50 fps, w/o sound! Also, I've decided against doing volt mods for people in the US. Unless for some reason someone wants me to by special request..... but I won't be able to offer any guarentees whatsoever.

All right!!!!! I just tried the 1.99 volt mod on my GP, and now I get 188 mhz!!!!!! In fact, it almost worked perfectly on 192 mhz.... crashed after a few mins, tho, so I bet it'd get 190 mhz w/ fresh alkaline batteries. (I'm using some of the cheaper NiMH batteries, they last about 4 hours on a full charge running constantly w/ backlight on at 133 mhz.)

I have some questions. I got my GB32 BLU from gbax.com. It seems that my resistors are following: R48:300 R52:640 Thats what is written on them. Question 1: Are the numbers the Ohms? Question 2: Is it already modded? Question 3: How can I calculate the Voltage out of the Ohms? Question 4: Do you think modding it to ~1,99 V would help setting it higher than 166 Mhz (maximum up to now)? Question 5: Which resistors would you use?

My original unmodded Gp32 can go to 220 mhz, has anyone cracked the mystery as to why some are able to go that high and others aren't? I can open my gp32 to check the resistors and whatever else if it can help someone figure out what they might need to put in their Gp32. BTW I tested up to that level it may go higher I haven't tried yet. I used Gpquake and the new release of DrMD to test my speeds. I was suprised it would go that high, but I am very happy that it does. :)

jmetal88 posted on Dec 13 2004 at 01:45 AM said:
If anyone wants to try the volt-mod, I reccommend not using leaded resistors. Use SMT resistors if at all possible, it is a pain trying to get leaded resistors soldered in solidly without shorting anything.

when u say leaded resistors, do u mean the ones that look something like this -

------{===}------

the ---- are the legs that come off the resistor...

To make it easier to solder them resistors, you could have soldered wires to the GP32's PCB (Where the legs would usually go) and then solder the wires to the resistors :)

kai123 posted on Dec 16 2004 at 09:52 AM said:
My original unmodded Gp32 can go to 220 mhz, has anyone cracked the mystery as to why some are able to go that high and others aren't?

my Standard FLU goes 254mhz

I think some go Faster than others because of the Resistor values being slightly different.. I think resistros have a slight different value to each other by something like "+ - 5%"

like say you have a 100 ohm's resistor, its actual value could be 105 ohms or 95 ohms etc etc.. it wont be a perfect, exact 100.00 ohms resistor :)

and I heard somewhere that It was to do with the Ram and other components etc.

thats what Ill do
I just need to get a resistor set that makes 1.99 volt
anyone know the equation or whatever to find out what resistors, or already know the best 1.99 volt resistor set?
I could make a little list on my website

~Octavious

As I've mentioned, it's not that simple.

You can't just say a 330k and a 270k together will make it 1.99v

All models are different and what will work on one sometimes has different results on another.

It seems to involve a little luck sometimes.

I soldered the 3 wires to the 3 points on the board after I removed the resistors already there.

Then I bought the huge pack of resistors from Radio Shack. Then i started with the lower value resistors and worked my way up with different combinations until I got to 1.99v and 208mhz.

Then i used the same combo on my Flu , but suprisingly it would only overclock to 156mhz with the same resistor combo.
So I did the same thing and kept trying until I got 1.98v and 192mhz and by then I gave up and said "good enough". But I'll go back one day and get it higher. But since it's just my extra for my kids I really don't care.

Back