Kazuo Hirai - SONY PS3 PSN Relaunch Announcement

What is the vendetta against people wanting to be successful and make money? is it jealousy? What is with the compulsion and need to destroy?

I don't have a vendetta against people. I have a vendetta against the twisted, overpowered, capitalistic invention called the corporation. Not all corporations, mind you-- some can be good, some are for a good cause. Nothing is black and white (except Pokemon these days, what's up with that?). I do not want to destroy. I want to change. But in order for change to happen, what's there has to be destroyed first. The city of Chicago wouldn't be the same today without the Great Fire of 1871-- death and destruction were the best things to ever happen to that city.

You see, the terrible thing about the corporation is hinted at right in its name. It shares its etymology with corps and corpse among other words having to do with the general meaning "body." It is a legal body. It has mostly the same rights under the law as a person. It can sue and be sued. It can sign a contract. It can have, buy, and sell assets.

Corporations are run by not one person, but many. They are a legal front for a "body" of many people, all making decisions "in the company's best interest." We can take a lesson from Anonymous here (not kidding): "Anonymous: because none of us are as cruel as all of us." It's simple psychology. Put someone random on the streets and have them act terribly distressed, and watch as a single person here and there walks up to him and asks what's wrong, but then watch the group of ten or twenty walk right on by as if nothing is happening. A corporation has the rights of a human being, but it has no soul.

Look, I could argue all night (can't sleep) about everything you've just said, but we'll get to the point: you're sidestepping everything I said about the way things are done and how they need to change. Here is a more in-depth explanation of why the pay-per-licence model will not work in the long run:

1. Coder X (that is his actual name, because he is that badass) makes a game. Artist Y (her actual name as well; how unfortunate) makes art for the game. The game is developed over time, creating something; adding something to the world.
  2. The game is released. One person buys a licence. The game is partially paid for.
  3. Two hundred thousand people buy the game. The game should be more than paid for now; the developers should have recieved ample repayment for their contribution to society-- the value of the original effort has been exhausted. Unfortunately, the company they work for has taken 90 per cent of the profit, and re-used most of it to market more copies.
  4. People keep buying the game. The price stays the same for months. Each time someone pays for the game, an additional 70 dollarpounds are paid in exchange for absolutely nothing. What effort does it take to copy a few billion bytes of data? What does that add to the world? No new value is being developed.
  5. The game finally goes out of print, with the game company having made several times the actual value of the original effort, and the developers X and Y having made nothing more than their standard salary.
  6. The game company is still pursuing lawsuits against "copyright infringers" and "pirates" who just want to play the game that has already been paid for!

Don't you see a problem with that? Don't you want some change for your fellow developers? I understand and respect your right to an opinion and views, but damn man, I seriously think that if you sat down and thought about it, you'd understand that the crackers are the good guys this time. I suppose I have the "asshole's point of view" because I refuse to contribute to something so vile. The gaming giants need to die and make way for small-time developers; the system is sick and needs to flush itself out. It's time. Giant Enemy Krab Karts would have been stretching the franchise too thin anyway.

Why don't you consider my proposed pricing/release scheme? I guarantee you'd be satisfied. You'd be able to raise the money for the game you want to create, and make however much money you want doing it. Is 97 cents per download on an iPhone app really making you that much money?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree with AquaAnalogue here in his eloquent expressions of how rotten the system is and how change is brewing in all walks of life, from cyber, political (The tyranny never went away btw, just hid itself in legalese and corporate takeover), religious/spiritual awakenings, monetary policy changes (abolish the FED, Bank of England, real money as value not debt) etc.

The system is broken, the machine must be stopped as my signature speech from MarioSavio once elegantly put it.

I relish the coming entertainment and the fight for this change. The Hacking of the PSN to highlight how un-securely these big Corps treat your data (The NIR in the UK was planned to be sold by Gordon Brown to any willing takers, whilst LockHeed Martin just gave us the latest Census2011, IBM owns most of the SW of the UK's councils now and the rights to human RFID implants, despite their track record of the punch card /tatooing system for the Jews of the Holocaust, UK Police stations have set up credit unions that own the Local Councils who despite no longer trading, pay the Police their wages) is another lesson in what the big guys are upto against the little folk.

The Little folk appear to be taking a much needed stance.

As one of the founding fathers (there some oddities to the whole Independence thing but that's another story) once said

"If you relish the bonds of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go from us now, as we seek neither your arms, nor your counsel and may the chains of servitude rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget ye were once our countrymen" or words to that effect, as that's from memory.

A great documentary on the Corporate legal fiction and its Psychopathic nature

http://www.sprword.com/videos/corp/

I simply would like to ask you something:

Why are we so hardwired to love something for being open? Something that we can slap money down for and make ours? Machinery that we aren't renting?

Because it is your choice. For each of my consoles, the agreement with the selling party is that you own the hardware. You CAN do what you want with it. The problem I am having is that no one is seemingly noting that my purchases are indeed my choice. I bought my consoles for entertainment, not for work. If I want to develop for something, I get hold of something that suits my development needs. Usually it is open, like my GP2X, like my Pandora sometimes not, my Windows PC and UDK/Unity. I buy things for the what I need/want them for, not because someone online said that Sony are bad, or Microsoft are evil. I feel that the statement AquaAnalogue's comment about me being a disgrace to the community is unwarranted. I aim to release open software for an open platform, isn't that enough? If not then sorry, tough luck but I've got a living to make. My bills don't pay themselves, and if I choose to develop closed software for closed systems for a price then that is what I will do. I love making games and I am aiming to have a successful career in doing so, developing for open platforms only goes so far. It's the closed systems that will allow me to make the money needed to hire more staff and make the game I WANT to make, not the games I NEED to make.

Well there you go, I have no problem with that!

But to be honest, if you could make more money with an open system, would you prefer to use one? i.e. if you were manufacturing a console, would you choose to make it open source?

I simply would like to ask you something:

Why are we so hardwired to love something for being open? Something that we can slap money down for and make ours? Machinery that we aren't renting?

Because it is your choice. For each of my consoles, the agreement with the selling party is that you own the hardware. You CAN do what you want with it. The problem I am having is that no one is seemingly noting that my purchases are indeed my choice. I bought my consoles for entertainment, not for work. If I want to develop for something, I get hold of something that suits my development needs. Usually it is open, like my GP2X, like my Pandora sometimes not, my Windows PC and UDK/Unity. I buy things for the what I need/want them for, not because someone online said that Sony are bad, or Microsoft are evil. I feel that the statement AquaAnalogue's comment about me being a disgrace to the community is unwarranted. I aim to release open software for an open platform, isn't that enough? If not then sorry, tough luck but I've got a living to make. My bills don't pay themselves, and if I choose to develop closed software for closed systems for a price then that is what I will do. I love making games and I am aiming to have a successful career in doing so, developing for open platforms only goes so far. It's the closed systems that will allow me to make the money needed to hire more staff and make the game I WANT to make, not the games I NEED to make.

Well there you go, I have no problem with that!

But to be honest, if you could make more money with an open system, would you prefer to use one? i.e. if you were manufacturing a console, would you choose to make it open source?

Personally I'd have a hybrid system, take the Xbox 360's template and improve upon it. I'd have the end user experience seems less between independent titles and those created by large studios. I would have two SDKs, one very feature rich for big commercial client and another that was a basic tool-kit with a few helper libraries included. I would also allow the basic tool-kit to be downloaded by who ever wanted it. They'd be able to put content on whatever digital distribution stream I chose and they'd be able to charge what they like, if anything for the content they provide. These independent games and software would have thier own anti-piracy measures (if the developer chose to use them). They'd be digitally signed and attached to a gamertag style arrangement (like a hybrid of Steam and Xbox LIVE), the digital signature would also be different from the commercial security key, as well as other measures encrypted into the executable, to prevent people decompiling commercial titles and repackaging them as free indie titles. Anyway that's my two cents of what I'd do if I were in control, and someday I hopefully will be. I hope this would seem reasonable and acceptable to the majority of developers and users.

EDIT: I mean 'seemless' as in no extra requirements for running indie titles, unlike Xbox Live where you need to be online to run them.

Yeah! And if you buy something, you should be able to burn it to a disc if you want.

Yeah! And if you buy something, you should be able to burn it to a disc if you want.

Also extended distribution would be at the author's discretion, not mine. If they said, "Right, you buy it. You can give X number of people it" I'd be cool with that. I'm all for developer freedom but I also think that people should be able to make money on the work they do.

Giant Enemy Krab Karts

OMG, that sounds awesome - I would so buy that.

D.

I'll make it then. Just as soon as I have a Pandora and a good grasp of game design; I could probably do it in the summer.

Coming soon to a Pandora near you-- Giant Enemy Crab and friends take a day off and decide to hold a fun racing competition together! Peel your tyres and drift through corners at breakneck speed on real mountain courses which actually existed in ancient Japan. Use power-ups to flip a friend onto his back, attacking his weak point for massive damage! Rated G for gimmicks.

Giant Enemy Krab Karts

OMG, that sounds awesome - I would so buy that.

D.

I'll make it then. Just as soon as I have a Pandora and a good grasp of game design; I could probably do it in the summer.

Coming soon to a Pandora near you-- Giant Enemy Crab and friends take a day off and decide to hold a fun racing competition together! Peel your tyres and drift through corners at breakneck speed on real mountain courses which actually existed in ancient Japan. Use power-ups to flip a friend onto his back, attacking his weak point for massive damage! Rated G for gimmicks.

I do hope this isn't going to be a rip-off of Mario Kart - instead of having the crabs driving karts around, put wheels on their legs. That would rock.

D.

I do hope this isn't going to be a rip-off of Mario Kart - instead of having the crabs driving karts around, put wheels on their legs. That would rock.

D.

Honestly if I actually end up doing this it's going to be shit, because I have actually never made a game before. So it'll be nothing like Mario Kart, except for the "Video Game Character meets Go Kart" cliche. It would probably be 2D top-down, idk.

I want to do it, but I can't see it looking/playing well at all. Still, we all have to start somewhere, right? And, there could always be Giant Enemy Krab Karts Mk.II. and in the third generation, we could add a story element! Giant Enemy Krab Karts RPG!!!

My ideas so far: the Krab Karts will have wheels on their legs as you say, and their giant claws will be used both to flip the enemies over on their back and attack weak points for massive damage. Power-ups would temporarily change your claws into other things. Hopefully a demolition-derby type minigame could be included.

My ideas so far: the Krab Karts will have wheels on their legs as you say, and their giant claws will be used both to flip the enemies over on their back and attack weak points for massive damage. Power-ups would temporarily change your claws into other things. Hopefully a demolition-derby type minigame could be included.

Sounds awesome, I'd be well up for that. Just make sure that the claws do truly massive damage.

D.

That'd be sick! Need somebody to work graphics? I'm not that good, but I'll try.

There are too many followers and "Anonymous" fan faithful out there. IMO, three arrests aren't going to deter them from hacking SONY again.

Back