Keys Scratching Screen?

cosurgi

http://janek.kozicki.pl/
Website
janek.kozicki.pl
keys-lcd.png

This is an issue I had with all my three laptops. The keys were a little too thick (perhaps a mere 0.2 mm ?) and were leaving traces on the LCD screen. It looks like a "ghost" of the keyboard imprinted on the LCD. It happens only with 5 or 6 keys close the center and not at the borders.

I'm not sitting on my laptops ;) it was due to normal carrying in the backpack.

It's because you were carrying it in a backpack. Stop doing that.

I'm sure they took that into account and made that a non-issue but I do think that is one thing they may test again prior to the FCC submission.

Normal Notebook keys are concave, Pandora's keys are covex, so they have no sharp edges. The lid is much too small to allow significant bending. The curved edges on the new design help making the lid even more stable.

Yep, happens with my laptop as well, carrying it in a laptop case.

If the keys are soft and convex, though, it should be easy to wipe off any marks they leave, as it's just residue, not scratches.

try putting some rubber pads (you know like the ones at the bottom of a laptop) where the top two screws in the screen half of pandora - that would result in the rubber pads on screen preventing contact with keyboards.

I'm sure the devs have already thought of this

Just a suggestion :eek:

The keys don't touch the screen. Even with the coated keymat, the keys don't stick up higher than the D-pad and buttons. See that lip around the display panel? That is to ensure the display sits above the D-pad, buttons, and keys.

In all the renders of the case I've seen, there is a spot in the lid at both corners opposite the hinge which appears to be there for mounting a rubber bumper.
Craigx posted a final render where, instead of sockets at that spot, there seems to be a cylindrical object at the corners.
I am assuming that this is representing the bumpers, as Evildragon's renders show only the receptacle for those bumpers.

Evildragon's render with the sockets:
sneak3.jpg

Craigx's render with the bumpers:
final_1.jpg

So, even if they get it a bit wrong and the bumpers aren't high enough to protect the screen, you could easily build up the bumpers to prevent rubbing.

Personally, I intend to immediately apply a screen protector when I get my pandora.
I do this will all my LCD screen devices, whether touchscreen or not, to keep the screen from getting scratched.
My Nokia 770 is on its fourth screen protector, and when I pull the old one off, the LCD is good as new.

You can also see on those renders, that the screen is even more recessed. You can assume that the keys won't touch the speaker area when the lid is closed and the screen is further away from the keys than the speaker area.

I haven't had any issue with this on my laptop, but are you seriously not supposed to put it in a backpack?
I do that all the time, so I can take it to class.

My lappy has keymarks on the LCD screen too (and yes, it's carried around in a backpack all the time).

It's not a big deal and I not really obvious it when it's on, but they are quite visible when it's off though.

Looking at the renders, it really doesn't look like this will have any such problem.

I have no keys but frame around touchpad imprinted to the LCD. It's due to bending plastics when carrying in backpack.
Pandora due to smaller size doesn't bend as big notebook. And even if then screen protector helps.

iprice said:
My lappy has keymarks on the LCD screen too (and yes, it's carried around in a backpack all the time).
I think the marks are due to the grease your fingers leave on the keyboard. This can get transfered to the screen, and I think if left will make a permanent mark over time. Make sure you clean your keyboard (and don't eat and type at the same time).

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, this is not an issue for the Pandora. Laptop displays are much larger, so a 1 to 2 degree flex of the panel might translate to several mm of travel across a 15" panel. The Pandora's display is tiny by comparison, so it is both less likely to flex and any flexing that does occur translates to much less distance traveled by the center of the display. You would have to press very hard indeed on the lid to contact the keys. Hard enough that you are likely to break the panel before contact occurs.

lulzfish said:
I haven't had any issue with this on my laptop, but are you seriously not supposed to put it in a backpack?
I do that all the time, so I can take it to class.
Basically, no.
A normal backpack let's the laptop shuffle around too much and twists it ever so slightly. You can get special backpack for laptops, however, which support a laptop in a much better way and leave you plenty of room for books, mouse, blanks disks, external drives, etc.
Definitely a non-issue for the Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I probably couldn't put my laptop in a regular backpack. It's a 17-inch, so I got a special huge backpack [edit: It has a separate section that's like a laptop case, it's not just a huge backpack] that can fit my laptop, my external drive, and some books without a lot of effort. I find it odd that laptops could have such a problem, though.

Back