Koules2x Released, Port Of Svgalib Linux Game Koules

senquack

I feel a great disturbance in the source
Website
Visit site
Koules2X v0.1a released by Senor Quack, hot off my compiler and probably containing a bug or two, but I've nearly beaten the entire game with no glitches so please, have at it:

http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,27,1954

Screenshots:
screen1bq9.png

screen2zw9.png

screen3db3.png

The idea of the game is to beat back waves of incoming objects against the sides of the field, where they shatter. Larger and more massive balls, two different types of randomly appearing black holes, and spit from smaller balls keeps you on your toes. Power ups appear that increase your mass and speed, which you'll definitely need later on. [cut]

This is my first-ever time working with either SDL or SVGAlib or, well, anything involving more than a few pages of C code. I am very, very happy with how it turned out. I saw this port suggestion listed in the Wiki and even saw a few people requesting it via a search, and couldn't believe people still remembered this :)

Sound support, TV-Out (when I get a BoB), external joystick support, some work on the in-game menu, and even maybe networking support are soon to come. I know some menu options aren't working, things like deathmatch, two player, re-defining keys, but 1-player works just great with the default controls.

Lemme know that you think of if there are any show-stopper bugs.[/cut]

Awesome! I remember totally falling in love with this game about 10 years ago when I first installed Slackware on my old 386... I'll have to give this port a try :)

--Zero

*orgasms*

OMFG this game is the best thing ever! This was the first ever game I played when I tried out Linux 6 years ago and I absolutely fell in love with it. I always dreamed of this being on the GP2X and now the dream is a reality.

I may have to organise a donation when sound is available (if you have paypal that is).

*scurries off to download*

Does this version of the game reset your mass back to default whenever you start a level? I don't seem to recall the original doing that... it makes the game a LOT harder!

--Zero

Ze_ro posted on Dec 16 2006 at 06:25 PM said:
Does this version of the game reset your mass back to default whenever you start a level? I don't seem to recall the original doing that... it makes the game a LOT harder!

--Zero

I haven't changed any code at all in that area of the game. Unless a Debian patch (which fixed GCC 3 support) or a buffer overflow somewhere is causing it to get overwritten, I think that's the way the game is. I'll compare it to the original version I have compiled for Cygwin/X11 later this evening.. I think the game is actually too easy on "Hard" but too hard on "nightmare". More on that later.

Just a quick update for everyone: I have sound working now, but have to get to work ASAP. An updated version is coming this evening!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm fairly certain that when I played it way back when, it kept your mass between levels... in fact, I remember the game being fairly easy because of that, because once you got heavy enough, you were barely even moved when enemies hit you (including the Dark Applepolisher!)... of course, if you died, it ended up being pretty tough trying to get back into form.

Then again, this is the first time I've played the game in about 10 years, so perhaps there were some changes along the way that I missed.

--Zero

OK, I wasn't kidding about releasing a new version, folks, I have version .02 all zipped up right here in a folder. For some reason, the GP2X archive isn't showing changes when I go to update the file. I see other files appearing on the "New Files" list, however..

I've tried re-subitting it twice in the last 20 hours or so.. hmm....

jbrodack posted on Dec 21 2006 at 05:00 AM said:
im quite enjoying the new version with sound. however i do miss the saves after every level. any way you could add a manual save?

I'll probably add that in sometime soon, since the original Koules saved every level. However, I did like the little extra bit of difficulty the cut-scene save points add. On hard, it might give a bit of a challenge to a newcomer. You might notice it doesn't say "GAME SAVED" on the last level. That's a little bug I left in to make the player frantic.. In actuality, it did save the game. Hehe

Once you get good at Koules, the hard difficulty isn't what I'd like it to be, but nightmare is ridiculous. I plan on adding custom difficulty settings so you can always feel challenged, things like physics and number of lives.

Can't wait to see if the GP2X is able to do 640x480 with 4 players via joystick on the TV-out. As it is, Koules uses surprisingly little CPU power and I'm optimistic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back