Kuklomenos

Farox

Certified Guru
Website
rbnet.it
Hi
I have uploaded a new port.. B)
This time is Kuklomenos a game by Martin Bays...http://mbays.freeshell.org/kuklomenos/
I have only statically recompiled the source of the Wiz version by HopeZ (Thank's a lot for the source ) .

I have slightly modified the source to increase speed on GP2X excluding
libcurl and relative Highscore reporting , also changed sound rate from 44100 --> 22050
and reduced sound buffer (from 512---> 256 )and sound Channels (from 32--->16 )

Also changed the message of button used on the game...

You can download at http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/gp2x.cgi?0,0,0,0,30,2816

Hope you like it...!!!

I am going to try this as soon as I have a minute. Thank you for breathing a little more life into my favorite console.

Yes, it seems interesting I agree. I haven't figured out exactly what needs to be done either. I think the triangles are nodes that you can capture. Shoot the circles. Some circles seem to be immune to particular colored guns.

A little more speed would be great - is the GP2X source available or is it pretty much a straight port from the Wiz (with the changes you've already specified)?

slaanesh said:
I haven't figured out exactly what needs to be done either. I think the triangles are nodes that you can capture. Shoot the circles. Some circles seem to be immune to particular colored guns.

Yes the gameplay is like this ...a more detailed version on the readme included in archive.

A little more speed would be great - is the GP2X source available or is it pretty much a straight port from the Wiz (with the changes you've already specified)?
Basically is the same source with the minor changes described..anyway i wanna make the source available very soon..i want to check/experiment some things before...
For speed ...i don't know how to improve this...feel free to suggest.. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Farox said:
Basically is the same source with the minor changes described..anyway i wanna make the source available very soon..i want to check/experiment some things before...
For speed ...i don't know how to improve this...feel free to suggest.. :)
[/quote]

What compiler options did you use? You could try profiling the code using -fprofile-generate and -fprofile-use.

I really enjoy playing this game, very pretty too. It reminds me of the scanner/radar section from the Elite games. Thanks for this Farox.
smile.gif

slaanesh said:
What compiler options did you use? You could try profiling the code using -fprofile-generate and -fprofile-use.

For now the only compiler options used are : [-s] and [-O2] ....
I use Code::Blocks under Windows and i don't know how to insert your suggested options on the project ..

Thank's for help

I had a look at the Wiz source code and the makefile... it's really unreadable. I don't know why it's so complicated!
I'm 100% certain we can get this running much faster - in the order of 50% or so.

I'm going to make a build for the A320 Dingoo and see how that goes.

I'm 100% certain we can get this running much faster - in the order of 50% or so.
I'm going to make a build for the A320 Dingoo and see how that goes.
Ok :)

I had a look at the Wiz source code and the makefile... it's really unreadable. I don't know why it's so complicated!
If you need my source feel free to ask...

I have tried to compile with profile ...under codebloks there is a [-pg] (profile code when executed) option but seems to NOT work ...adding this require a lib lgmon at linker time
this is the error reported :
f:\programmi\codeblocks\devkitgp2x\bin\..\lib\gcc\arm-linux\4.0.2\..\..\..\..\arm-linux\bin\ld.exe: cannot find -lgmon
Process terminated with status 1 (0 minutes, 15 seconds)
1 errors, 0 warnings
but i have read at Codeblock's forum that this is not available on linux ...i don't know how to solve...

I have experimented some compiler option on codeblocks..
And now i have obtained little more speed .. :)
Compiler options used now is
[-s] minimizes size
[-O3] optimize fully for speed
[-fexpensive-optimizations]

Hey that's good news.

About -O3 and -Os; these options are usually mutually exclusive. ie. -O3 will generally make the code larger whereas -Os is the same as -O2 however disabling optimizations that increase the size of the code. The GCC manual will give you more explanation.

The -s is used in the linking phase to remove symbol information and doesn't usually slow down the executable though it can significantly reduce the overall size.

I have compiled a version for A320 now, I'm surprised at how slow it is. SDL on the A320 isn't very fast and this seems to make extensive use of it.
Other changes I made were to downgrade some of the 'double' variables to 'floats' - this gave me an extra few FPS. See 'SDL_gfxPrimitivesDirty.cc' and 'SDL_gfxPrimitivesDirty.h' in particular. You will also need to update three lines in menu.cc.

See how that works for you.

Other changes I made were to downgrade some of the 'double' variables to 'floats' - this gave me an extra few FPS.
See 'SDL_gfxPrimitivesDirty.cc' and 'SDL_gfxPrimitivesDirty.h' in particular. You will also need to update three lines in menu.cc.
This sound interesting...i will do it...thanks

I have compiled a version for A320 now, I'm surprised at how slow it is. SDL on the A320 isn't very fast and this seems to make extensive use of it.
Dingoo is relatively new product and SDL it isn't well optimized i think ..anyway good news for the dingoo A320 users :) .

I have found a strange behaviour for the settings (kuklomenosrc file ) i think it's saved on nand instead of SD card...

I have found how cross compile with profile generate (-fprofile-generate) under codeblocks :) ...
thank's to this thread..http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/28490-advanced-optimization-via-profiling-with-gcc4/page__st__15
and thank's a lot to Adventus and Notaz ..
But for now my program executed on gp2x didn't generate the .gcda files needed to recompile with -fprofile-use :(
I have edited the game with an editor as described in the thread linked above.... it run slowly on gp2x but i don't get any file on the dir specified..

To be able to use profiling under codeblock you need to go to build option of menu project...then, under the tab Compiler Settings clear (unselect ) all option (maybe could be left
[-s] i don't know ) then, switch to tab Other options (always under Compiler settings ) and write here the string -fprofile-generate ...and rebuild .
You should add to linker flag -lgcov .

I have uploaded a new version of the game to the archive...(wait until the page is updated )

In this version i have fixed where the settings file (kuklomoenosrc ) is saved ...and now you can put the game where you want in SD card.
Plus i have changed some compiler option to obtain a little speed up ...as described above ...and changed many "Double" to "float" as Slaanesh suggested..
..but for now no profiling yet :( .
Plus i've invluded the source and codeblocks files (one for the game , one for the library lib_mixer needed to build separately ).

Back