Lan On Gp2x

Jacek Poplawski

Still Fresh
Hello GP wizards :)

I am really impressed - GP2x is small, powerful and has Linux inside.

We are going to port our networking software on it, I assume it could work (there is enough memory, CPU is OK, our software is very portable and its main platform is Linux), the only problem we found is how to configure network device on GP2x.

I've search forums on this website and found some success stories. Looks like it's possible to ping GP2x and even telnet it - that's exactly what we need!

In the "Apache" thread someone said that he was able to install USB LAN card, the problem is that he hasn't mention what card was that.

In the "Wifi Pack With Msn Messenger" thread someone wrote about driver and put list of supported devices.

My questions:

- are there people here who are able to use GP2x in their LAN? who can ping them, ftp/telnet/ssh? could you reply this post please?

- is there any website with newest version of USB LAN driver, or any documentation about preparing GP2x for it? I assume this is something more complex than just compiling Linux kernel. Or is linux-wlan everything I need for it?

- is it possible to run network on ppp through GP2x serial?

- what networking hardware do you recommend to buy to work with GP2x? WIFI? USB LAN? use serial driver?

wrong forum mate, this is for the GP32.

gp2x has been met with limited success g_ether is working but only with a custom kernel. all of the "official" ones have networking support disabled.

hehe, thats wrong as well i move it to general gp2x.
art103 had succes with a lan adapter at (ext)usb, some other guy mounted a nfs over usb.
various people are planing to sell usb adapters soon, im sure soon it will not be uncommon to hook up usb stuff to the gp2x.

i plan on building a usb thingy sometime but the stupid ext ports are like 8$ us on toyz for boyz and thats alot for a little connector

Hello Vimacs,

If I understand correctly one need:

- device connected to USB and ethernet, with external power

- kernel compiled with networking enabled

Could you point me to the information about such device? Will any linux-supported device work?

PS. Is it possible to use somehow standard USB cable (connected to PC on the other side) and use PC as "gateway" to LAN?

Jacek Poplawski posted on Feb 16 2006 at 06:29 PM said:
PS. Is it possible to use somehow standard USB cable (connected to PC on the other side) and use PC as "gateway" to LAN?

This is the g_ether driver, it makes the gp2x look like a network adaptor to the host pc. You still need a kernel with networking support.

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont know much about this but i suggest u make some searches on the wiki.

maybe this is interesting something about using diffrent kernel i think.
wiki USBhost

didn't read this but it looked pretty interesting.
Tcp/ip over USB

well as you may understand i think this is only something that you can do for your own not likely something that will be easy to use for the regular gp2x user.

I hope this helped u a bit atleast.
Still i dont know anything about it lol. :D

didn't read this but it looked pretty interesting.
Tcp/ip over USB

I don't understand where is information in this wiki node, what I see is just "Why you would want this?" or "Some cool things you could do with your GP2X on the network.", but there is no instruction what to do.

Back