laptop k/board problem

Fzero

Advanced Member
I got a laptop that was 'water damaged'

glass of water spilt onto the k/board apparently, no idea if it was on at the time or if they tried to turn it on after without drying correctly and fried it..?

wasn't booting Windows OS at first, just manufacture splash screen.

mousepad and k/board didn't work... or at least the F2 key didn't work anyway.

hooked up USB k/board and was able to boot to restore Windows.

now, all good in terms of working OS and data access, but the mousepad and k/board still dont work.

the k/board actually had a sticky "e" key, as whenever I clicked Start button to access the control panel it would not show the Windows 7 style shortcuts under Start button as it was immediately trying to find programs called "eeeeeeeeeee....." :)

I've taken the keypad off, disconnected the ribbon and just reconnected it, just to ensure was connected right.

strange thing happening now though, which is no doubt due to water damage and fo0ked but thought I'd ask you guys just in case you've any thoughts or know a fix...

I open up Word program and some keys do naff all, some keys do strange sequence, always same sequence too.

eg:

press W key;

w

[so that one is fine]

press N key;

ny

press N key;

mju7

press E key;

cde3

press DEL key;

.o9

...this kind of behavior, why?

just completely knackered?

I'm guessing so but you never know...

I'm assuming that cde3 are all in the same logical column...

Have you checked that there isn't any grit or dirt stuck under the keys?
Can you take it apart without breaking it?
Can you buy a new keyboard?

'water damage' in quotes.. suspicious.

I did the same thing several years ago to my old Althlon 64 laptop, except it was a soft drink. I bought a new one still in the original plastic on Ebay for cheap ($35) and swapped it out and it's still good today..

Last edited by a moderator:
replace the keyboard.  Most can be picked up pretty cheap on ebay.  Depending on your model you may be able to get just the track pad assembly but many of them require you to buy the whole palm rest assembly.  It depends on model and design. Water damage blows these guys out all the time.

... I hadn't noticed that the key pattern is in column. spot on.

I can get the keypad out easy enough so should be able to pop each individual key off too and give a good clean to them all, no harm done if the keys break as unusable at moment anyway.

I'll do that, failing that working I'll look for a replacement keypad on eBay, fairly common Toshiba model.

cheers guys :)

Back