Last Refund Question, I Promise.

Giskard1708

Still Fresh
I must've been the last person on the planet to preorder because I just got the email/refund combo on the 5th of December.

A search for "GP32" on my bank statement brings back the following results:

Check Card: GP32 DISTRIBUTION GB 10/05/08Foreign Amount- 208.88 Currency Code-826 $307.26

Which is the refund--> the date comes up as 12 - 5 - 2008

Check Card: GP32 DISTRIBUTION NEWCASTLE UPO GB 10/05/08 $370.34

As you can see, the amount I originally paid was quite a bit more.

I know the currency exchange issue has been raised before, but *my question* is WHICH amount am I being asked to transfer to Craig?

I've been spending some time reading all the refund related posts but I am finding a bunch of conflicting information. How much money am I being asked to pay now?

If you're doing a bank transfer right away (using the details in the refund email), then transfer the most recent amount (i.e. exactly what you were refunded).

If you're planning on using a credit card to reorder, you'll have to wait for instructions when the reorder page is up.

GunPei2X said:
If you're doing a bank transfer right away (using the details in the refund email), then transfer the most recent amount (i.e. exactly what you were refunded).

If you're planning on using a credit card to reorder, you'll have to wait for instructions when the reorder page is up.
I've heard this info before but never from an official source.
Can you point me to the official post in which this info appears?

Thanks beforehand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the latest:

Chip said:
Whatever amount you received in the refund is the amount you need to pay to reorder. It's as simple as that. People who have been reordering with bank transfers have been transferring the exact amount that they received from the refund no matter what currencies involved.

GunPei2X said:
Here is the latest:

Chip said:
Whatever amount you received in the refund is the amount you need to pay to reorder. It's as simple as that. People who have been reordering with bank transfers have been transferring the exact amount that they received from the refund no matter what currencies involved.

Thanks so much! Dunno how I missed that post.

Giskard1708 said:
I must've been the last person on the planet to preorder because I just got the email/refund combo on the 5th of December.

A search for "GP32" on my bank statement brings back the following results:

Check Card: GP32 DISTRIBUTION GB 10/05/08Foreign Amount- 208.88 Currency Code-826 $307.26

Which is the refund--> the date comes up as 12 - 5 - 2008

Check Card: GP32 DISTRIBUTION NEWCASTLE UPO GB 10/05/08 $370.34

As you can see, the amount I originally paid was quite a bit more.
I know the currency exchange issue has been raised before, but *my question* is WHICH amount am I being asked to transfer to Craig?

I've been spending some time reading all the refund related posts but I am finding a bunch of conflicting information. How much money am I being asked to pay now?

You need to buy this now.

dummiesguidern1.jpg

Am I the only one here that doesn't hang out with Craig and the gang on a regular basis or do people not understand what a wire transfer is? The loyalty here is astonishing. I really pray that it isn't abused.

As a side note:
In Germany it is common to use bank transfer. I think every country has got its own preference. If you buy from a company, I don't see why you shouldn't do a bank transfer :huh:

mali said:
As a side note:
In Germany it is common to use bank transfer. I think every country has got its own preference. If you buy from a company, I don't see why you shouldn't do a bank transfer :huh:
when you live in the united states you should not. it's been equated with terrorism, especially when it's to a foreign country.

mali said:
If you buy from a company, I don't see why you shouldn't do a bank transfer :huh:

Because you have no protection, no chargeback. Once a transfer is made the money is gone. When you pay by credit card the card company can reclaim the payment on your behalf within a reasonable time period.

Asmo said:
mali said:
If you buy from a company, I don't see why you shouldn't do a bank transfer :huh:

Because you have no protection, no chargeback. Once a transfer is made the money is gone. When you pay by credit card the card company can reclaim the payment on your behalf within a reasonable time period.

?
We don't live in Anarchy. If I pay a company, I'm supposed to get a service in return. If I don't get a service in return, I get my money back. That's how economy works in civilized countries AFAIK. If a company refuses to fulfill the contract and doesn't refund the money either, I'm entitled to sue it.

truekaiser said:
when you live in the united states you should not. it's been equated with terrorism, especially when it's to a foreign country.

When you live in the United States (or the UK) everything is equated to terrorism. That's because they've given up linking everything to serious crime.
Any way, the point is simple:

If you want to pay by bank transfer now, you return what you were refunded and there is no further currency risk. It's simple, avoids currency risks and ensures openpandora has working capital without card fees. I've tried to give all the details in the opening post of this thread.

If you are uncomfortable with bank transfers or have another reason you want to pay by credit card you will have to wait until the web page is live and then follow whatever instructions are given at that time. This may or may not bring with it a further currency risk. No, nobody knows exactly when this will be or precisely how it will work. If any of this bothers you, reconsider re-ordering by bank transfer.

If you are unhappy with either, do not re-order.

mali said:
We don't live in Anarchy. If I pay a company, I'm supposed to get a service in return. If I don't get a service in return, I get my money back. That's how economy works in civilized countries AFAIK. If a company refuses to fulfill the contract and doesn't refund the money either, I'm entitled to sue it.
At your time & expense, assuming there is an entity left to sue and the effort proves successful. A meteorite could obliterate the company. They could go bust. Aliens might abduct them. Credit cards offer payment protection as an inbuilt facility, no matter what went wrong.

Asmo said:
At your time & expense, assuming there is an entity left to sue and the effort proves successful. A meteorite could obliterate the company. They could go bust. Aliens might abduct them. Credit cards offer payment protection as an inbuilt facility, no matter what went wrong.
Is this kind of protection only for goods, or does it cover other things like stock trading, too? Is the maximum protected amount fixed, or is it open ended? It sounds very interesting, I must admit. Paypal offers protection too, but there have been examples for getting out of responsibility reported in the media, because of some interpretable paragraphs in the user agreement.

mali said:
Is this kind of protection only for goods, or does it cover other things like stock trading, too? Is the maximum protected amount fixed, or is it open ended? It sounds very interesting, I must admit. Paypal offers protection too, but there have been examples for getting out of responsibility reported in the media, because of some interpretable paragraphs in the user agreement.
It covers any purchase made with the card, though it'd be a crazy company that would allow you to buy stocks & shares on a credit card without an additional legally binding contract. For the same reason, you can't buy lottery tickets with a card - you could just chargeback when you don't win!
Protection amounts are determined by the card issuer, I think the norm is around the 500 euro mark but I could be wrong. My card covers more. PayPal have their own rules, they probably need them.

You get different levels of protection from the various credit card issuers.

In the UK I think it is true to say that the purchases are treated as a 'credit agreement', like a mini-loan. If you do not get the goods, especially if a company goes bust, you can claim against the credit card company.

I only ever buy online using a credit card. It is also advisable to use CC for furniture and holidays due to not getting the thing straight away and things can change over time. Hence why pre-ordering something on CC gives you protection against unforeseen circumstances.

edit: another typo. doh!

TaG said:
truekaiser said:

When you live in the United States (or the UK) everything is equated to terrorism. That's because they've given up linking everything to serious crime.
Any way, the point is simple:

If you want to pay by bank transfer now, you return what you were refunded and there is no further currency risk. It's simple, avoids currency risks and ensures openpandora has working capital without card fees. I've tried to give all the details in the opening post of this thread.

If you are uncomfortable with bank transfers or have another reason you want to pay by credit card you will have to wait until the web page is live and then follow whatever instructions are given at that time. This may or may not bring with it a further currency risk. No, nobody knows exactly when this will be or precisely how it will work. If any of this bothers you, reconsider re-ordering by bank transfer.

If you are unhappy with either, do not re-order.

i'll wait for the credit card reorder. more for the fact that if something further happens between the refund and the ability to reorder, i will still have the money. if i do the bank transfer now or if i did it earlier i am essentially trusting that nothing else will happen. who knows maybe the new bank goes belly up? it seems like every friday like clockwork, tptb announce yet another bank failure as a low spoken side note when the market closes for the weekend. I still want a Pandora though.

mali said:
Thx, for the info :)
On top of all that (or perhaps because of it) bank transfers are not easy to do here in USA. (Because they're not used for day-to-day transactions.)

As far as I can tell, I can't do a bank transfer online. I'm going to have to walk down town and stand in line at the bank to do a bank transfer.

Back