Latex

okay guys, I am working on a solution to get LaTeX onto the Pandora, and I hope to be able to present a result in a few days. :)

Question:

WIll it make sense to distribute TeX with LaTeX and probably MetaFont as a PND? Currently I don't think so. If used from LyX or some other TeX/LaTeX-aware editor, that editor needs to call the (La)TeX binaries.

The TeX binary (no matter if used from a TeX editor or stand-alone) may need to call the Metafont binary for font creation, each binary needs access to a variety of .tex and .fmt files and possibly others, so a correct PND configuration would be complicated to build, and probably also complicated to use.

Installation as an ipk package would make the tools available system-wide without the overhead of mounting the PND and accessing its contents on non-standard ways.

Another option could be to distribute it as a PND, which, when started, mounts an extend (? - if I did get the purpose of "extends" right), which lets the TeX/LaTeX components appear in their standard places, ready to use for any person or tool needing access to them. But I have no expiernece with extends at all, so this will be difficult for me.

Opinions?

Daniel

Have a look, how WizardStans Java pnd does this maybe.

I think it copies a script to the bin dir on the nand, which mounts the pnd and exports the bin folder etc in the pnd.

Not yet.

So many other tasks to accomplish, with higher priorities than this one.

But I havent lost interest at least...

Back